NY goes to NH (Sunset Cannon then Lafayette,Lincoln&Little Haystack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIATIS

Reaction score
Okay I am going to do a trip report (Oh My God!) I have to do this quick befor Peak_bgr or Bushwacker beat me to it.

To start at the beginning on New Years Day Spencer asks if I would like to do Allen this Saturday. Overjoyed with having him home from his 6 day Winter trip to Baxter Mtn I agree. During the course of the week due to forecasted rain on Saturday hike is changed to Street and Nye with Allen on Sunday. Saturday Street and Nye changes because it rained so much the night before we would be unable to cross the brook. We were going to do upper and lower wolfjaw but when we saw how strong Johns Brook was flowing from the bridge we decided that the bridge out at the ranger station would pose a problem. We ended up deciding to drive to Long Lake to do Owls Head and then Old Forge to do Bald so Bri could finish his fire towers. We are on the Boreas Rd half way or more to Long Lake when I make the comment "This is one of those days when we should of just gone to Lincoln, NH". You see I want to do a two week trip next January and I know there is certain gear I need that I don't have now. And, of course Spencer is more than willing to strike while the fire is hot for me to go gear shopping. Somehow I don't believe it would just be for me. Brian turns around, we stop at the house pick up maps and guidebook and head to NH. We get to Lincoln and the Northface Shop Outlet isn't there! Or at least it's not where it used to be. We decide to do a sunset hike to Cannon. We parked at the Cannon Tramway parking lot where the ski museum is. Park close to the entrance of the parking lot because the trailhead is to the left of the enterance. We started out about 3:00 PM. You walk a very short clearing before the trailhead> I wasn't sure if I needed ice skates, swimsuit or both. Here we were greeted by two friendly dogs who were with a father and son who were sledding down a small hill to the right of the trailhead. Being raised in the ADKs I am used to long approaches and this trail just started going up. There was ice but not enough to warrant crampons yet enough to make it a pain to choose your steps. When we first started there was a chilly breeze so we had jackets on. 10-15 minutes down the trail a warm breeze kickedin. Stop, unlayer, continue hiking. 3/4 mile into our hike it starts to rain- thank God because I'm starting to get really warm. Then all of a sudden it starts to downpour and you can't even see in front of you. Stop, hurry, put on rain gear, hike- and boom rain is just gone. Then skies were clear. We hiked up to the outlook and could not see the summit so we weren't sure if we were there or not. We took a right at the junction walked through some stretches of water and made it to the observation tower. 2 hours up. Now when Spencer and Bri told me about the hike I mentally assumed 3 hours no problem ( I was thinking Pokomoonshine or something like that). This was no Pokomoonshine this was 4100 ft. We descended the same way we came up using headlamps. Ice, snow and slush are hard to distinguish in the dark and yes I took my share of falls. It really sucks when the descent is as long as the summit. Since we did not know we would be doing any of this we called home and had dad get the kids then went in search of a room at Parker's Motel. We got a two room suite (by no means fancy but workable) They gave us a great tip on where to eat- Woodstock Station 5 minutes down the road. Good Suggestion! I had a salad and pizza ( Pizza became next days lunch). Back to the hotel to check on the gear and clothing we had washed and left in front of the fire place. 4.2 miles in 4 hours.

By morning all clothing is dry, we pack up and head off to Lafayette parking lot. We start a 9.2 mile loop at 8:45 AM beautiful weather. I fall in the parking lot. Great start! (For the record I did not fall even once the rest of the day)We put on crampons and start ascending the Old Briddle Trail which is 4 miles to the top of Lafayette Mt (5260ft). Boys summit approximately 5 minutes before I do. Wore jacket with a shell but no face protection or goggles were needed although you could feel the wind. Yes, I love the wind.We saw alot of fellow hikers along the way. From Lafayette to Lincoln(5089ft) it is 1.1 miles which we did in roughly an hour. The 360 degree views which go on forever are amazing. We continue along the ridge .7 miles to Little Haystack(4780ft). From here we start our descent of 3.2 miles down the Falling Waters Trail. Definitely glad I had crampons for sections of this trail. I know I blew through this part of the report but I need to leave something for the boys. Part way down there is a sign for Shining Rock .1 in the opposite direction we are going. How can you not walk .1? So down we go and yes there was what looked to be a slide completely covered in ice with the sun glaring off it. It was worth the .1 although the uphill to return to our trail was not appreciated by my feet. The Falling Waters Trail is aptly named there were magnificient waterfalls and the trail zig zagged across free flowing water several times. I enjoyed this hike 100% It was the first time I ever wore crampons and I love them.( And even though the boys were betting on how many times I'd trip- I didn't) The only downside was breaking in new boots and having no skin left on either hell-sorry heel, but it is a small price to pay for a great day of hiking. I even held my own and lead for a section on the descent. Total time roughly 7 1/2 hours. Not bad considering I was along.

Forgot to add I loved the rock kairns, they helped me set my pace!!!

Maddi

PS
Looking forward to VT Gathering this Friday.
If you have a good sense of humour and are not easily offended ask Spencer about Washington being out :)

Last edited:
Damn, you know you get home take a shower and what does she do, steals my thunder and writes a report out from under me. That's ok. I don't have much to add. It was definatly winter conditions above the Greenleaf Hut. Not overly cold, hardly no snow, but the wind nipped at cheeks and if caught up there on an unexpected bivy it would be quite unbearable.

If you want my opinion. We could have done without the crampons above treeline, and definatly along the ridge trail. I took mine off after Lincoln, I'd had enough after I caught it on my gaiter and took a header. But as soon as I hit treeline over Little Haystack they had to go back on. The entire trip a good pair of Yaktracs or something of the like would have sufficed.

Well, here's the Washington's out thing. Most of you know Brian is a pretty quiet person, man of few words. But, every once in a while you can split a side with one of his wise cracks. Well, along the ridge not only were the crampons bugging me, but my bladder was yelling at me. So I made my way into the trees and while standing there getting ready to attend to mother nature I said 'hey, Washingtons out" (out of the clouds). The next comment was from Brian to Maddi "Is that what he calls it". Well that's the story. Don't let your imagination run too wild.

Last edited:
Sure, I'm walking around in the rain waiting for you all over at Allen - NOT!!!
I knew you said if it was raining you'd bail -- but NH!! Next thing you'll be PATRIOT fans :eek: Maddi - saw you posted and couldn't believe what I was reading!! Great report and excellent hikes. Cannon - you experienced first hand one of the primary differences between ADK and WMNF - we hike in; they hike out of the parking lots!

Essex County Social Services was happy to hear this...
Since we did not know we would be doing any of this we called home and had dad get the kids then went in search of a room at Parker's Motel
The Sunday ski races at Whiteface were postponed early Saturday evening!! We rented a van, bought lodging, food and gasoline, drove for 13 hours -- for nothing!! (No doubt spent over $1,000) There is really NO SNOW around at all. :mad: Wierd stuff... a J3/4 race on Saturday was run way low on maybe green terrain with very minimal coverage. The older kids would have torn it up.

What's the plan this weekend??

That ridge is one of the nicest spots I can remember ever being at. It got my taste buds burning for more NE peaks.

Hey, I didn't say "bye"

I was good hiking with you guys. If you want to hike some more peaks in the Whites let me know. The ones you did are close to the road but have a lot of bang for the buck. You might like the Bonds. We could BW them if you want. :D