Old Man of the Mountain in the NY Times

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we still have the Watcher of Franconia Notch.

The slide route is reportedly very loose but the ridge route is nice way to spend the day and get some interesting views including the Watcher.

I think it's cool it fell in our life time and we got to witness the aftermath.

All that talus below Cannon cliff has been raining down for thousands of years.

The one and only time I saw the Old Man was on a drive over to the Whites with my folks, from Hanover (where I lived with them for summers of '94 and '95). It was cool to see, and to remember now.

Well we still have the Watcher of Franconia Notch.

The slide route is reportedly very loose but the ridge route is nice way to spend the day and get some interesting views including the Watcher.
The Watcher was news to me. Thanks, PB. It turns out you can see the profile from below at the southern end of Profile Lake. Yesterday I caught this view, with the Watcher near center-top. Also note a climber atop the Eaglet, a belayer on the left, and two hikers attempting the aforementioned slide route.

Attachments

• 202305071320EagletClimbersTheWatcher copy.jpg
    202305071320EagletClimbersTheWatcher copy.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 1
There are several locations along the ridge with fixed belay points. The view the back side looking down the notch is even more impressive. Its not a bad beginning "off trail" hike along the ridge. Hard to get lost but it does require some map work on the south end to avoid cliffs. The register for Eagle Cliff was on the ground 4 or 5 years ago with no good candidate trees to reattach it to.