Old town Blem sale changes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those who remember the good old days of going to the factory in Old Town in the sprng to wheel and deal on a factory blemished canoe or kayak, the rules apparently changed last year. My old "tupperware" Discovery ( a slight blem from Beans) is long gone but just in case here is the new info on the sale.

http://outthere.bangordailynews.com...-host-annual-old-town-canoe-sale-april-13-15/

For those unfamiliar with Old Town "Blems", the majority of their boats are made out of rotomolded plastic and on occasion they will come out of the mold less than perfect. They usually are funtionally equivalent to a standard boat but they look like someone may have bumped them with a car or the sriface finish is rough. When it was done at the factory there was wheeling and dealing as some were more "blemmed" than others. For a family or a camp boat most wouldnt know the difference. Some on occasion have a kink on the keel and that may impact the hull drag somewhat but considering you are voluntarilly paddling with about 30% more weight and a far less efficient hull design than a equivalent size Mad River or Lincoln, I expect the slight hull speed impact is not an issue.

Yawn. They've been shipping blems to dealers for years, with attendant markdowns. Rotomolding is an imperfect process, and even the OT labels get misapplied sometimes.

Not sure that any trips in past years to the Mother Ship would have been a net gain over buying them locally, given the time and expense to get up there.

I saw blems advertised at the Paddlesports show in Durham, NH last weekend. The prices would have made me look twice if i was in the market for a boat. A few years ago i bought a little known brand kayak with a blem (wouldn' t be able to take a rudder) and it is a great boat at a great price. Perfect for a second boat or even a one and only.