Online kayaking resources for beginners?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undershaft

Reaction score
I'm very new to the world of kayaking. I've only been out paddling once, but I loved every minute of it. For a couple of years other things got in the way and paddling moved to the back burner. Now that I have the AT out of my system (for now, anyway) I'd like to start learning more about kayaking. I hope to get serious about this new fancy of mine come spring (ie: take lessons, get a PFD, paddle, boat and get out on the water). For now, I was hoping some of you could direct me towards some good online resources that will help me learn more about the sport. The search engines only give me the websites of retailers. I really want something I can read and digest over the winter months. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I read about the gathering, but I have to work this weekend and won't be able to make it. Thanks for the link to paddling.net - that site will keep me busy for a while. My most probable paddling ground will be the (protected)ocean. Specifically: Plymouth/Kingston/Duxbury Bay. I know the waters there very well. I can and have navigated the harbor in all conditions, I know the tides, currents, sand bars and channels. Plus I work 200 yards from the harbor, so it's convenient. I also have equally good access to Buzzard's Bay (I live about two miles from Wareham/Onset harbors) but I'm not very familiar with those waters. I see myself venturing out into open water someday, but for the first couple of seasons of kayaking I plan to stay in sheltered harbors and bays. There are plenty of fresh water ponds and lakes around (Plymouth has 365 bodies of fresh water) but the access is usually not convenient for me which means I probably won't go there. And I just like the ocean better. Thank you for the links. I've only glanced at the sites, but this is just the stuff I'm looking for.