Osceola, E. Osceola, Tecumseh 06-05-2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno

Reaction score
Arrived at Osceola Trail at 7:50a with hopes of a clearing day for the summits, which unfortunately wasn't to be had (at least while I was on them :)). Still, a fine day to be in the mountains.

A pleasant hike up the Osceola trail, slightly wet from previous rain. On the way up I ran into a very pleasant group of 4 monkies (you have to ask skibones about the monkies, apparently it may have to do with global warming :D). The lower elevations were clear, but no blue sky on the way up. On the summit, the ledges looked like the end of the world, only fog/clouds could be seen from the edge. Actually kinda cool, though I was hoping for a mountain view or two.

Next on to East Osceola. A little wet, maybe one or two easily passed blow downs, and then up to the East peak summit. On the return I caught a brief glimpse through the clouds of the Osceola cliffs from the base of the chimney. Once back on the summit of Osceola I met and chatted with Ed Hawkins who relaxing on the ledges, a very nice guy. Heading back down I caught some nice views of Tecumseh as the sky seemed to open up a bit.

Next, on to Waterville Valley ski area to hike the Mt Tecumseh Trail. I decided to help the sun burn off some of the clouds by wearing my sun glasses. um, that didn't work :(. but still a nice hike up the mountain. Stopped to catch a great view of Osceola and Tripyramid from the ski slope vantage point, then on to a misty summit, then back down to the parking lot.

On the drive back out Tripoli road to 93 I zipped into the Tecumseh Trail parking lot, and saw a bunch of lady slippers, probably over 30 of them in a small area. very nice.

Though a bit tired when done, a great day of hiking. Finished #19,20 and 21 of 48.

Here are some photos:

http://www.sopomedia.com/trips/Osceola-Osceola_East_Peak-Tecumseh/index.html

Last edited:
Wow! You had a busy day!!
We crossed paths yesterday on our way to East Peak (and your way back to the main peak) Not one of your 4 monkies........but 2 other people :)

I wasn't going to mention it, but by the time we got back to the Main peak of Osceola..........the clouds had cleared completely!! Still a great hike, with or without the views!! :)

Last edited:
Michelle said:
Wow! You had a busy day!!
We crossed paths yesterday on our way to East Peak (and your way back to the main peak) Not one of your 4 monkies........but 2 other people

I wasn't going to mention it, but by the time we got back to the Main peak of Osceola..........the clouds had cleared completely!! Still a great hike, with or without the views!!

Was it you that I asked "are there any views from the top?"? :)

Glad the clouds opened up for you, awesome! It felt like it would do that, but I wanted to hit tecumseh. I will return on a sunny day from the kanc side and catch the cliffs and greeley ponds.