Oswegatchie to High Falls -- any recent info?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
Has anyone been on the Oswegatchie to High Falls recently? I have two questions--

1. If we start early (7am) at Inlet, can we make it to the Falls and back as a day trip?

2. Does anyone have recent info on the extent of beaver activity and blowdowns that we would have to carry over?

We'll be paddling solo Hornbecks. I did this trip with my kids (ages 10 and 13 at the time) as a two nighter. I paddled a Mad River with one child and the other had the Hornbeck. On that trip, we camped down river of High Rock and went to the Falls and back in about 8 hours so I think we'll be ok as a day trip this time. The biggest challenge is getting in and out of the Hornbecks for each beaver dam. A few times is ok but it gets old after awhile.

Any recent river info would be welcome!

Thanks--

Pat T

That sounds like a great trip!

Leaving early enough/traveling light will allow you to go to the falls and back but it'll be a long day. You guys will be ready for a good meal after that.

From Inlet to the falls, there aren't that many beaver dams. Maybe 4 or 5 from what I remember.

If you plan on paddling upstream past the falls, well that is where the beaver dam crossings will get "old." 25 to 30 at least depending on how far up you go. There's practically one around every meander in the river.

Enjoy your paddle!