Other National Parks affected by government cutbacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max

Reaction score
I'm re-posting this here after deleting it from the New England sub-forum.

The news that came down from Grand Canyon NP in a bulletin I received a few days ago was that they expected ranger services to be curtailed somewhat. This would mostly affect the staffing of the multi-entrance booth stations at the South Rim access point. This would result in longer lines while waiting to get in. There are a few ways to avoid these longish lines. 1. Try not to enter the park at the peak time periods. Arrive early, before 9 AM. 2. Avoid the summer crowds if possible, July and August are insanely busy, and it's not a good time for deep canyon hiking, with temps regularly exceeding 100 degrees at the river. 3. If you hold a Senior Pass or other NP entrance pass, use the left-most lane at the entrance station. Even if you're not re-entering (as the sign says) you can still use it and it's almost always shorter and quicker than the other lines. Shuttle bus schedules inside the park were not supposed to be changed.

As an aside note for anyone planning a Grand Canyon area visit, be aware of the road closure of Rt. 89 north of Cameron AZ and south of Page AZ. The road is open as far as the junction of 89 and 89-A where it splits to allow access to the North Rim. Just north of this junction is where Rt. 89 suffered a huge landslide, totally closing the road and requiring a 45 mile detour. The slide happened several weeks ago and was severe enough that the road will be closed for quite a while for repairs. This is mainly a heads-up for those wishing to get to Page AZ from the canyon area and thence into southern Utah and Zion NP from here. Article and photo of the road damage here:

http://www.azfamily.com/home/US-89-south-of-Page-will-remain-closed-indefinitely-192335051.html

Picture of the road damage:

road.JPG

Last edited:
...I'm re-posting this here after deleting it from the New England sub-forum....
As an aside note for anyone planning a Grand Canyon area visit, be aware of the road closure of Rt. 89 north of Cameron AZ and south of Page AZ. The road is open as far as the junction of 89 and 89-A where it splits to allow access to the North Rim. Just north of this junction is where Rt. 89 suffered a huge landslide, totally closing the road and requiring a 45 mile detour. The slide happened several weeks ago and was severe enough that the road will be closed for quite a while for repairs. This is mainly a heads-up for those wishing to get to Page AZ from the canyon area and thence into southern Utah and Zion NP from here. Article and photo of the road damage here:

http://www.azfamily.com/home/US-89-south-of-Page-will-remain-closed-indefinitely-192335051.html

Picture of the road damage:

View attachment 4435

Thanks for posting this. Am headed to the GC in late April, and after a visit there was headed for Page and Antelope Canyon. When I checked Google maps, it now shows the route to Page going NW on 160 to 98. Must be the kids at Google know about the detour.

I have not heard anything on the local news regarding the length of time to make the necessary road repairs. There was significant land displacement and shifting, and I imagine it will be well into the fall at the very minimum...but that is just a wild guess on my part. The damage was just a short way north of the junction of state routes 89 and 89-A where it climbs the hill and winds its way through a cliff section. If going to Page AZ and the surrounding area is not on the plans, an alternative would be to take 89-A west as if going to the GC North Rim, but at the junction of the road to the rim (state route 67) one could continue on 89-A up to Kanab UT. This would be the easiest way to get from the Flagstaff AZ area up to Zion NP.

Last edited: