Owls Head 1-29-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the beta...

One more thought... for anyone in the future reading this post for beta and thinking "screw that bushwhack I'm taking the slide", IMHO (and I am happy to be corrected by those with more experience) it would have been a really difficult ascent on Saturday. Can you say swim? At least when we started down it was 2-3 feet of unconsolidated powder with only a very thin veneer of crust and of course very steep.** On the way down most of us couldn't stay upright, falling backwards when moving. Butt-sliding was the preferred method of descent.* I think at one point I was sliding, carefully grabbing at trees, rocks, and digging in with my poles, riding a couch sized mound of snow. Considering the steepness of the slope, I can't imagine how we would have gotten enough purchase to ascend. Wonderful views though (but I was too scared to really enjoy them). Now maybe we scraped off enough of the powder to change all that, and a bunch of wet snow could change things too, but I'm just saying a correct Brutus track seems by far the easiest way to ascend.