Owl's Head hike on 12/29/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Trails we used: Lincoln Woods Tr (2.6 mi) to Black Pond Tr (0.8 mi) to bushwhack (1.1 mi to avoid wide water crossings) to Lincoln Woods Tr(2.39 mi) to Owls Head Slide up

Trail Conditions: Lincoln Woods/Black Pond Tr are very packed snow w/ ice. Buckwhack from Black Pond Tr wasn't bad either (snow accumulation is up to 3-5 inches, no need snowshoes). Slide is very icy some sections, but, can be avoided by a bit of bushwhack here and there. Owl's Head summit herd path area had 3-5 inches of snow. 4 people of my group stepped on there, so the herd path has somewhat packed snow now and obvious to follow. We had beautiful blue sky all day long but it was very chilly (13F at base of Owls Head, 5F at the summit with a lot of winds)

Bushwhack from Black Pond: We used bearing 345 on the way to reach Lincoln Woods Trail from Black Pond. But we had to get over bump before reaching the Trail. On return from Tr to Black Pond, we aimed slightly differently such that we don't have to go up and down so much to get back to Black Pond. It worked well and we had less work on return. Thanks to this bushwhack, we could avoid major 2 water crossing and the ones we did was all minor (up to 3 steps on the rocks or ice in each crossing). Also, total hiking mileage was 15.9 miles RT per my Garmin Oregon 550T GPS.:rolleyes:

Used Traction: We used Microspikes from Lincoln Woods TH to Owls Head summit. I switched it to 12 tooth crampons to hike down on Slide and it was relatively easy to go down. At the base of Owls Head Mtn, I switched back to Microspikes. Our snowshoes stayed in our cars.

If you need GPS data for bushwhacking, please drop me an email thru VFTT.