Route to Owls Head

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a hike to Owls Head, and have seen a lot of stories about using the Black Pond bushwhack and the bushwhack around the slide up to the peak of Owls Head. I am debating whether to take the traditional route, or use either of these bushwhacks. Are these bushwhacks utilized only in winter, or can they be used in summer too? How difficult would they be to follow this time of year? Would appreciate any input.

I'm planning a hike to Owls Head, and have seen a lot of stories about using the Black Pond bushwhack and the bushwhack around the slide up to the peak of Owls Head. I am debating whether to take the traditional route, or use either of these bushwhacks. Are these bushwhacks utilized only in winter, or can they be used in summer too? How difficult would they be to follow this time of year? Would appreciate any input.
Black Pond bushwhack is used throughout the year, although early in some winters the track is set with a better route than in others. I think that the Brutus bushwhack, which begins just after the third major crossing on Lincoln Brook Trailm counting from where the Black Pond bushwhack joins, is a much safer route in the winter, up and especially down. Once the slide is clear of ice in the spring, I think that it is the preferable route as the Brutus bushwhack can be muddy and wicked slick.

IMHO Brutus is nice option going down. Its runs along steep hill sides that are far easier to come down than go up. The slide does have views.

The biggest trick with Brutus it to avoid the temptation to head uphill after the ineveitable muddy area past Black Pond, there are several herd paths that go up hill that eventually peter out. If you take hard right sort of behind a large tree, the primary path is very obvious and for the majority of the route it sticks to the low road

I’ve done it both ways. BP is a no brainer. Brutus was more of a winter thing. Summer/fall the slide was fine and I thought faster. Regardless, you will have a fun adventure. Make sure to tag both peaks (old and new).

I’ve done it both ways. BP is a no brainer. Brutus was more of a winter thing. Summer/fall the slide was fine and I thought faster. Regardless, you will have a fun adventure. Make sure to tag both peaks (old and new).
The “old peak” is really easy to miss now, as the trail to the “new peak” is no longer the sketchy herd path that it once was.