Owl's Head in the Rain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camper58

Reaction score
Has anyone done the Owl's Head slide when wet? From the pictures I've seen, it seems to be mostly gravel and scree, not slab, so it seems like it wouldn't be too bad. I just wanted to get a first hand report if possible. I'll be doing this on 8/31 and the long range forecast says rain. I don't mind rain, but I'll be solo and would change my hike if this seems dangerous. TIA

Haven't done it in the rain, but your assessment of the surface is correct. I wouldn't imagine it would be too bad.

It's mostly losse as you've seen from pictures. I've ben out with an occasional flurry on it but overall it was dry. I'd have to think plenty of people have done it when wet as it's a perfect rainy day hike, viewless (except from the slide).

Hi Camper58

The Owl's head slide is mostly loose gravel and scree and is quite steep. I've noticed that it is much easier to ascend a wet, loose scree slope than it is to descend a wet, loose scree slope. Keep in mind that most injuries occur on the way down and use your best judgement as you arrive at the slide..

Pay attention to your time / mileage / and maps, the cairn marking the spur trail to the summit will probably be gone.

Good luck.

Wow! Four views and three replies. THIS is why this site is so good.

Thanks for the help, I'll be the one with a tie-dyed bandana hanging from my pack if anyone else is out there on Wednesday....

I think Owl's Head is a great rainy-day hike. The forest is so lush in summer rain, colors are more saturated, and you'll see few other people. Your chances of seeing wildlife are better. It was quite wet last Saturday on Downs Brook Trail, when a big bear came down the slope and onto the trail about 20 feet ahead of me. I heard her before she heard or smelled me, thanks to the rain. That doesn't happen too often. Then she saw me and ran down the trail. No time to get the camera ready, but it sure made for a wonderful hiking experience. Her fur was incredibly shiny, and the green of the forest is richer on a rainy day. :)

I did it when it was raining/snowing back in late November. As long as it isnt icy(as it was when I did it. No cramp ons or yak tracks). Its rather steep in some spots but nothing that'll kill ya.

Enjoy............................... :cool:

I did the slide earlier this year the day after a hard rain. The lower sections were streaming with water and the upper sections were wet but not running. It was very straightforward on the ascent and the water seemed to make the gravel looser so the trouble, if any, was on the descent. With normal care you should not have any problems. Have fun!

JohnL

I'm probably the biggest baby here :eek: when it comes to wet slabs, and I'd likely do this one in the rain (if I HAD to!). It seemed to me there were always alternatives to the long slabs between the scree. There's only one spot I remember having any difficulty with, and that was a large sloped slab with a little run off in the second section. It had a few toe holds and a little something to grab onto on the left. That was the only section I can remember not being able to get around. There were also a few big rocks steps just above the slide, but unless you're a munchkin like me, they won't likely be a problem.

Julie's right about the mud: just before the second to last crossing there were some major mud holes and the after the last crossing there were more pools of mud (seemingly a permanent condition).

My only concern with hiking this one in the rain is the stream crossings (I'm a bit of chicken about solo stream crossings, too.) If it were raining hard, you could have an interesting wade across.

Good luck. That's a lotta walking in the rain! I might consider an umbrella essential gear for this one! :D

Hmmmm... <thinking about umbrella> Not a bad idea, Peri. What would an acceptable trail umbrella look like? I have a big golf umbrella, or a little dainty one. Decisions, decisions....

I'm not too worried about the stream crossings, or the rain in general. I'll be sure to watch out for the mud though!

Thanks.......