owl's head info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packdan

Reaction score
Hello

I'm planning a dayhike thursday.I have 4 hikes left to complete the NH 4K.

I was wondering if I should climb Owl's Head or Isolation.Will Owl,s Head be harder to climb later this fall due to stream crossings ?

If so,I'll go for it first and climb Isolation later.

As for me,I'd rather climb Isolation thursday,the weather forecast calls for a sunny day.

Thanks
Danny

Isolation stream crossings have been quite tame of late. Myself and others have done it recently and reported the same. I imagine Owl's Head won't be much tamer than it is right now for the same reasons.

Tim

packdan said:
...I was wondering if I should climb Owl's Head or Isolation.Will Owl,s Head be harder to climb later this fall due to stream crossings?

As of 9 days ago, the crossings were fine to do to/from Owl's Head...not sure about later in the Fall or why they'd even be much different unless there's a lot of rainfall prior to you're hiking it. My friends and I did it as an overnight backpack and the hike was very enjoyable. We camped out near the base of the Owl's Head slide the first day and hiked up to the summit the next day and out again.

Good luck!

Go for Isolation. As long as we avoid any real rain the stream crossings out to OH will stay nice. But even if they do get a bit high its just a matter of shoes off, water shoes on, wade across. Isolation, OTOH, if coming from Route 16 via Rocky Branch, has the trail and stream basically one in the same. Thus it can be a mess if its wet and running. Take advantage of the nice frecasted weather and dry conditions. Get 'er dun! :D

Good Luck,

Brian

Indeed as of yesterday, the stream crossings for Owl's Head were no trouble (though I just waded through the last one on the way out because I wanted to cool off.) Unless there is a major rain right before your trip, you should be good to go.

I would also probably put Isolation ahead of Owl's Head -- as the dry weather has reportedly made the Rocky Branch route less muddy.

- Ivy

Well, the longer you wait, the shorter the days will be. I'd do Owl's Head. The reality is that with the dry spell we've had, the stream crossings are much a non-issue on either hike. Decide based on weather: clear day: Isolation, cloudy: Owl's Head.

Another thing to consider: do you really want to risk finishing on Owl's Head? :rolleyes: (disclaimer: I love Owl's Head, have climbed it 3 times, but you certainly don't climb it for the view. YMMV)

I did Isolation this past weekend via Rocky Branch and the water crossings are definitely running very low. The trails, while a little muddy in places are significantly drier than they usually are. As long as it doesn't rain, I'd expect it to stay much the same. If it rains, though, the trail could get mucky pretty quickly and, from what I've been told, the trail and the brook can sometimes merge into one.

Not nearly as much of a muddy trail situation going on on the way to Owl's Head. If you're trying to avoid the mud, now's a good a time as any to do Isolation.

Despite the days getting shorter, I'd much rather take the chance of walking out on the Wilderness Trail after dark than I would Rocky Branch (wait a minute, I've already done that). So, I'd go for Isolation first.

Looks like it will be a perfect day - Iso views are tremendous - very unique to be sitting beneath the Presis as you view them - I would go with ISO...

OH is great - views are real nice from the slide over to Franconia Ridge...

Thanks Everyone for the infos.I'll go for Isolation to get the views.

As for finishing on OH,forget that,I plan to finish on Carrigain.After this hike I'll have Owl's head,the Bonds and Carrigain left to climb.

Bye
Danny

What's last? With the good visibility Isolation is hard to beat.

That said, in normal stream conditions it's not hard to stay dry on the Isolation crossings. So far I've waded twice (10/20 is planned 3rd trip) across the Owl's Head crossing (most you can stay dry on but I've found wading easiest for the widest) & in late May it was quite cold. I suspect it will continue getting colder as winter approaches :D

So get the good views but don't put Owl's Head off for long....

Here is an idea of what awaits you on Isolation:

Isolation is to the southern presidentials what HD is to sports.

Tim

(borrowed camera without panorama shooting mode, best I could do by hand)