Owl's Head via Lincoln Woods, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook Trails 7-30-12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marnof

Reaction score
Date: 7-30-12
7am-3pm

Trails: Lincoln Woods, Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook Trails

Conditons: No issues on LW trail--some Irene damage is easily avoidable. Minor mud on Franconia Brook trail and occasional step-over blowdowns to break the monotony. Lincoln Brook Trail has some pretty muddy areas, mostly avoidable if very careful. More trees across the trail here, too. Stream crossings on Lincoln Brook trail: I removed my shoes for the first two crossings, crossed the rest on rocks. On the return I plowed right through all water crossings with my running shoes on. Refreshing!

The bottom of Owl's Head Path is marked with cairns. The slide is dry for the most part, although the path above to the summit is wet with water on the trail in spots. Herd paths to the new summit are navigable; I stayed on the west side, keeping Franconia Ridge in view through the trees.

No major bug issues in the morning on the way out. On the return the mosquitos were out, mainly in the Lincoln Brook area.

Comments: I counted eight other friendly people on their way to Owl's Head--it was a gorgeous day to be sure. To alleviate boredom on the railroad grades I ran, stopping for photos. No running on the slide path, though! A dip in the Pemi on the way out was just the thing to revive me before the 5 hour drive home.

Mark

Found SIGG bottle on OH slide, marked "KIM." PM for info.