Painted Trillium

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score

(Click for full-size)

Note in the album to which this belongs is the original as well. I cropped it to focus more squarely on the blossom.

I saw many of these on 28-May-2006 on Moosilauke (Benton Trail), but I liked this one, because the sun gave the leaves a three-dimensional look, and back-lit the flower petals. There is sun, and shadows, but it's not overpowering (and I don't have a filter...)

Code:
File Name                       : 153_5310.JPG
File Size                       : 1159 kB
File Modification Date/Time     : 2006:05:28 14:12:10
File Type                       : JPEG
Make                            : Canon
Camera Model Name               : Canon PowerShot A70
Orientation                     : Horizontal (normal)
X Resolution                    : 180
Y Resolution                    : 180
Resolution Unit                 : inches
Modify Date                     : 2006:05:28 14:12:12
Y Cb Cr Positioning             : Centered
Shutter Speed Value             : 1/202
Aperture Value                  : 4.0
Flash                           : Auto, Did not fire
Focal Length                    : 11.3mm
Macro Mode                      : Macro

Tim

I love these flowers. I like the way the angled light creates shadows that bring out the texture of the foliage. I really get a sense of what those leaves would feel like. I wish the bloom itself was more evenly illuminated, however. The shadow on the upper-right petal seems a bit harsh to me. I suppose a flash would have evened out the bloom but then you would have lost the softness of the foliage.

I like the crop, too. The bloom gets lost in the original image.

Like you, my critiques are based on what I like to look at. I'll not be surprised if one of the "real" photographers on the site completely contradicts what I've said.
-vegematic

I like the shadowing on the right corner leaf. I think it adds interest as I rather favor shadows as they often high contrast the subject alittle.

I agree with Vegematic that a foreground fill flash would probably do in the softness of this image. But with a backdrop, some Kleig lamps, a generator, etc anything is possible, carrying it there is another matter. :)

I will add, although I like your crop, but I might even like the original alittle better. It appears to hit the third with the flower center... ...your crop uses the top & bottom thirds, I think. Both work. It's just personal preference.

Good work.

--LTH

I like the cropped version -- it puts attention squarely on the blossom, where it belongs. Nice lighting. The shadows add a three-dimensional quality to everything in the frame. You are right on the verge of overexposure -- if the image were any lighter you would lose texture in the flower petal to the left. Judicious image sharpening would make this image jump right off the screen!

G.

Pretty image! I like the crop.

The shadows in this image interest me. Mrs. Forestgnome is always mad at me when she sees a pretty scene and wants me to photograph it, and I won't because of the shadows.

"But, I like the way the sun is dabbled in the scene"

"Too much contrast"

"Please, just shoot it!"

"Too much contrast!"

"You don't love me anymore!"

She just saw your picture. "Why can't you do that?!"

:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing. I'll try harder to shoot forest floor scenes with shadows.

First off, one of my favorite flowers, and one of the things I look forward to most about spring. Hobblebush and Trilliums!

I like the picture, The square crop works very well, as does the center placement within the square crop. And though the frame is busy, all the background works well for the image. The dappled light is a nice touch, and as forestgnome points out, it's not easy to get this type of shot in this type of light, so excellent work there!

forestgnome said:
Pretty image! I like the crop.

The shadows in this image interest me. Mrs. Forestgnome is always mad at me when she sees a pretty scene and wants me to photograph it, and I won't because of the shadows.

"But, I like the way the sun is dabbled in the scene"

"Too much contrast"

"Please, just shoot it!"

"Too much contrast!"

"You don't love me anymore!"

She just saw your picture. "Why can't you do that?!"

:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing. I'll try harder to shoot forest floor scenes with shadows.

Very humerous take ... I can't tell you how often I've been in the same argument ... somehow though I'm always wrong, whether there was too much contrast of not!!!

IE

"Why am I so washed out and why is there a demon horse behind me"

"I told you...too much contrast"

"Why do you make everything else look pretty, you don't care about me"

Like Jim, trilliums are one of my favorite flowers. I love hiking in the spring and seeing them. Trillium blooms in the springtime is certainly one thing that will give me the motivation to carry my good, heavy tripod many miles into the woods.

I like the cropepd version of this shot. It puts the focus on the flower, where it belongs. I agree that the light and shadow creates a 3D effect as you say, but it is a little to harsh IMHO. You've lost some detail in the white parts of the petals and the contrast on the leaves below pulls my eyes away from the flower. It is a nice shot, but I think a little more even or softer light would have made it better. You can either shoot later in the day or carry something to lightly shade the flower.

If I am going out with the intention of shooting wildflowers, I carry a few long potting sticks (or snow wands) and a t-shirt or preferably some light cheese cloth. You can shove the sticks into the ground to hold the cheese cloth in a way to cast a shadow on the flower. Depending on how your orientate it you can control how much shade/light you provide on the subject. You can get some nice even light and still get some contrast. Of course if your S.O. is there, you can just have them hold the cheesecloth.

- darren

ps: one of the best locations I have found for trilliums (painted and purple) is along the lower slopes of the Star King Trail on Mt. Star King. Anyone else want to share some hot spots?

Thanks for all the feedback. Once again, I was out "peak bagging", not to take pictures. However, there were many of these, and I was particular intrigued by the "tri" of the trillium -- The flower, the leaves, everything is 3s (or multiples of 3s.) I stopped at many of these along the trip in both directions, and they were either completely shaded or completely sunny. This particular one really struck me and I took exactly one shot of it. It is definitely one of my favorites of the year, along with the white admiral butterfly. Funny how neither one is of a summit... I guess the trillium is a mountain flower though.

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Thanks for all the feedback. Once again, I was out "peak bagging", not to take pictures.

Tim

You can be creative - chances are you had a white poly pro t-shirt in your pack. That can almost work as well as cheese cloth. :)

- darren

Absolutely. It is a good idea. I'm very pleased with the picture considering it was fully-automatic P&S w/o a tripod. Now I have an idea I can use if I encounter a nice flower with too-strong light!

Tim