panther brook trail, ADK

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
is this trail marked? my topo map shows a trail to Bradley pond lean-to but no trail up to santanoni. Is there a marker or rock cairn there. Also, is the water in panther brook reliable to the top for pumping? I was hoping that they would remove couchie from the list by the time I got around to it :rolleyes:

The path is not marked, but easy to follow. The intersection with the marked trail is approximately here.
I think there is a small cairn on top of a large rock at the start of the herd path. You should be able to find water in Panther Brook for at lest half of the ascent up to Time Square. I suggest you download the Time Square map from the Adirondack Journey site. http://www.adirondackjourney.com/Santanoni_Range.htm
There’s no chance of the 46ers removing Couchie from the list, but I’ve enjoyed the hike out to it, both times I’ve been there. There are a few nice views of the Sewards along the path out.

I second

lumberzak's advice regarding Adirondack Journey. To get to the start of the herd path walk over 4 miles through some of the deepest mud, flowing water, slippery rocks, and gnarly roots until you think it can't get any worse. When it does, you've reached the start of the herd path.

When I went in to Bradley Pond last week, the trail, which isn't the greatest under the best of conditions, was in worse shape than ever due to the recent rains. Much worse than when bubba and I went there last year and probably found it at its best then. The herd path is very nice by comparison.

Heed Joel's (AJ) advice. There is a good map of the Times Square area on his website. After climbing to above the brook you will reach a large rock with some scrawling on it. This is so-called Herald Square. Disregard the scrawls. Turn right for Panther. Turn left for Times Square about 3-4 minutes away. TS is a flat, open area maybe 15 ft. square. At the far side is a large boulder. Go to the right of the boulder and turn right immediately for Couchie. Go straight and around the boulder to a nice viewpoint down to Couchie and continue on the obvious path to Santanoni.

When are you going?

teejay

Adirondack Journey thirded...

The past two times I've been up, I found the last reliable water in Panther Brook around 3400', where the path crosses from the left (south) bank to the right. That was a dry year, though...

Also, there may or may not be a VERY large blowdown on the Bradley Pond trail only a few feet before the intersection with the herd path. There were paths leading around it to the right, but obviously the path to Times Square goes left...

Couchie's actually one of my favorite of the 46. Good luck!

I was up there a few weeks ago and Panther Brook had pumpable water until almost 3800' -- nothing on the way to Couchs though, so load up.

Herd path from the marked trail up to Times Square is very obvious. There's a cairn and then a herd path that heads over the drainage. Once up the Times Square, pass the big rock and then bear right, I found it pretty hard to miss. Once you're in the bog about 2/3 of the way to Couchs, bear right as well. There is a path that heads to the left out of the bog but don't go that way.

Bob

I note that the trail into Bradley Pond L/T starts from the parking area and follows a road. It then turns into the woods to the right and goes over a nice bridge. From there the trail heads mostly at a constant gradual uphill and finally comes to a small ridge and falls down into a low area. A bit further down the trail you'll see a rodk on the left "sway-back" rock it has been noted as. The trail goes up into the woods on the other side of a small open area. Trail up is nice to follow.

If you reach the lean-to, you’ve passed the herd path. There are some yellow paint marks on some trees and rocks to follow most of the way along the stretch between the state trail and Panther Brook.

Couchee is one of my favorites, also (officially, per my final Forty-Sixer report, my second-favorite of the High Peaks). If you think you’re making good time, you may want to head out there first, then see how you’re doing when you return to Times Square. It’s a long way out, so it will probably take you more time than you think. Then it will be another two hours to get out to Santanoni and back. Panther is less than 15 minutes each way, but I always seem to end up spending a half hour on top. It’s pretty steep getting up onto its summit plateau; the sign is back in the trees on the right. The trail can be mushy getting back there.

I’ve been up the herd path thrice, but never even attempted hitting all three peaks in one go. And the road walk out at the end is interminable.

Have fun!

I went the first weekend in July and the mud wasnt as bad as I have heard. Its avoidable if you try but if you have gaitors and waterproof boots the mud really isnt bad. There is a false Times Square but just go left if you go right it takes you up Pnather.

I was up there last week. The trail to the herd path was quite dry and pleasant on the way up. From the start of the herd trail someone took an axe and had just cut very fresh looking blazes on both sides of the tree at frequent intervals all the way up to Times Square.

The herd trail's beginning had a large pile of rocks sitting on a hip-height rock that has a slight saddle shape to its upper surface. The trail is easy to follow, especially now that there are fresh blazes all along it.

At the top of the trail up to the ridge the first little clearing is not Times Square, (it has been referred to as Herald Square). From Herald square the trail to Panther is to your right, straight ahead is a brushed out trail to nowhere, to your left the main trail leads another tenth of a mile to Times Square, it splits just after that at an opening with views, to Couch (there is a hand carved sign that says Couchie) ahead and Santa on your left.

At the second crossing of Panther Brook you should fill up with water because the trail leaves it at that point. You may have water flowing down the trail after that but I wouldn't count on it.

It rained and poured while we were up there and the BP trail became was a big mess of running and standing water.

The trail to the Santas is way, way better in winter.

Last edited:
Neil said:
I was up there last week. The trail to the herd path was quite dry and pleasant on the way up. From the start of the herd trail someone took an axe and had just cut very fresh looking blazes on both sides of the tree at frequent intervals all the way up to Times Square.

The herd trail's beginning had a large pile of rocks sitting on a hip-height rock that has a slight saddle shape to its upper surface. The trail is easy to follow, especially now that there are fresh blazes all along it.

Is blazing the herd paths really necessary? Other that finding the start of the Panther Brook Path off the Bradley Pond Trail (there wasn’t a caine the first time I went up) I never thought the herd paths were that hard to follow.

lumberzac said:
Is blazing the herd paths really necessary?
Totally unnecessary. I got the impression that someone just got a new sharp axe and wanted to try it out. OTOH it will probably keep the winter route right on top of the summer route. I don't know if the blazing continues beyond TS because we turned around there due to the rain.
(Pretty funny saying you hiked Times Square. Half way to Panther in the tighter trail with the water logged balsam and spruce my wife stopped and said, "I don't need this" and homeward bound we were.)