Panther Mountain via Giant Ledge - 12/30/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_swede

Reaction score
For weeks I had been anticipating a trip up to the Catskills with my longtime friend Jason. This would be his first time in the Catskills and I hoped that it would be a fun, memorable trip for him.

We arrived at Woodland Valley just before 11 AM, hoping to arrive back at the car by 4 PM. The hike began pretty smooth, following the yellow blazed trail along the ridge contour before dropping back down and then rising back up over the shoulder of the mountain to the old road. Moving at a very relaxed pace, we arrived at the summit of Giant Ledge at 1:30. We snacked on some bagels, snapped some pictures and gazed at the hill-studded horizon, identifying as many mountains as we could.

We slowly made our way down Giant Ledge and up Panther, barebooting the whole way. It was icy and we had crampons on us but using them would have been overkill. At the summit, we relaxed on the ledge and once again snapped some pictures while admiring the balsam capped summit and its wonderful view. By this time, it was 3:00 and we realized that we might not make it out before dark. Probably the worst mistake I made was assuming that everyone moves a brisk 3 miles per hour regardless of terrain :rolleyes:; thus, I neglected to bring a headlamp. Thankfully, Jason brought his headlamp, which saved us from spending a night out in the woods.

By the time we got to the junction below Giant Ledge, the sun was nearly down so Jason cracked out the headlamp. My eyes adjusted pretty well to the dark but unfortunately, there was barely a moon that night. We carefully walked down the old road, making sure we spotted the blaze that marked the turnoff.

By this time, it was pitch black and the both of us were quite nervous over the prospect of being able to follow the trail off the old road. We both knew that the road continued down into Woodland Valley but we weren't sure how easy it would be to follow. So at the junction, we opted to follow the trail. This was when the going got really tough, walking blaze to blaze. The blowdown from the ice storm a few weeks back didn't make things easy and at one point, we gave up trying to follow the trail. We could hear a stream that we knew would take us back to Woodland Valley, so we bushwhacked to it and then followed it for about a half mile. After a tense 15 minutes, we spotted a cluster of homes. Whew! Once we made it out of the woods and onto the road, we knew we were safe.

All in all, a good day, even though we ended up hiking in the dark for 2 hours with a single headlamp. :eek:

Pics: http://flickr.com/photos/t3h_sw3d3/sets/72157612017602321/detail/

"Hey Jason, come do this really easy hike with me, man!"

"Sure, dude!"

Way to indoctrinate your friend! :eek:

Hey, glad you are safe! At least you kept your head on straight and figured out the right course of action! :)

Now, about that headlamp!

Probably the worst mistake I made was assuming that everyone moves a brisk 3 miles per hour regardless of terrain :rolleyes:;
Pics: http://flickr.com/photos/t3h_sw3d3/sets/72157612017602321/detail/

Mmmm-hmmm. Let me tell you, I gave it my all trying to keep up with you that day back in September. You cover ground like a weed.

Glad to hear it ended safely. Your friend sounds like a hearty soul, with a decent head on his shoulders. He'd be a welcome addition if he's willing to risk coming out again.

Tom was inspired to suggest, upon reading your report - how about doing a Nighttime 35? :eek::D:D

That is why I have my duck, which has an LED in it, and Quacks... :D

Nice hike Erik, although I'm not sure who indoctrinated who, sounds like your friend was more prepared than you! :) Although with your speed, I bet you don't wind up after dark that often!

My Headlamp lives in my pack, year round, when not on my head, even on the shortest hikes.. :)

Jay

Hey, glad you are safe! At least you kept your head on straight and figured out the right course of action! :)

Now, about that headlamp!

Glad to hear it ended safely. Your friend sounds like a hearty soul, with a decent head on his shoulders.

Yeah, I'd say it was a little nerve wracking. My boots aren't waterproof anymore (the seams are tearing) so it was tough not stepping in the stream.

Tom was inspired to suggest, upon reading your report - how about doing a Nighttime 35? :eek::D:D
Hmm! Sounds like a plan. Cavedog style?

Nice report and pictures Eric!
Thanks, Ralph. Sure was an awfully nice day. The view of the Devil's Path was most impressive at the summit of Panther.

Nice hike Erik, although I'm not sure who indoctrinated who, sounds like your friend was more prepared than you! :) Although with your speed, I bet you don't wind up after dark that often!

My Headlamp lives in my pack, year round, when not on my head, even on the shortest hikes.. :)
Unfortunately, I think for me, time spent hiking and preparedness are inversely proportional. :( I've learned my lesson though. Jason was well prepared with a headlamp and a whole box of waterproof matches.

Mmmm-hmmm. Let me tell you, I gave it my all trying to keep up with you that day back in September. You cover ground like a weed.

Glad to hear it ended safely. Your friend sounds like a hearty soul, with a decent head on his shoulders. He'd be a welcome addition if he's willing to risk coming out again.

A nighttime 35 would be so awesome! I do love the catskills at night - I finished up the last 2 miles of slide yesterday in the dark it was fun! We had the same thing happen...I forgot to put my headlamp in my pack before we left home - good thing my guy had his on him. But we adjusted very well to the dark - the snow covered ground always illuminates :)

By this time, it was pitch black and the both of us were quite nervous over the prospect of being able to follow the trail off the old road. We both knew that the road continued down into Woodland Valley but we weren't sure how easy it would be to follow. So at the junction, we opted to follow the trail. This was when the going got really tough, walking blaze to blaze. The blowdown from the ice storm a few weeks back didn't make things easy and at one point, we gave up trying to follow the trail. We could hear a stream that we knew would take us back to Woodland Valley, so we bushwhacked to it and then followed it for about a half mile. After a tense 15 minutes, we spotted a cluster of homes. Whew! Once we made it out of the woods and onto the road, we knew we were safe.

I know that feeling - the Pecoy notch trail is the same way. I went hiking in early November on that trail and after a couple storms (by mid - late Nov) it was not the same trail and VERY hard to navigate in the dark. But let me get this straight - finding the next blaze was hard so you opted off the trail - in the winter??? I guess if your bushwhacking skills are better than mine than you're safe - but I'd rather not panic take my time and stay on the trail! GLAD you and your buddy made it safe non the less! Thanks for sharing your story with us :)

Does your friend like our beautiful catskills - I hope he's not traumatized ;);)

Hiking all 35 Catskill Peaks at night is a goal I would like to complete. I have hiked quite a few at night already,and it is certainly a interesting experience.Safety glasses are a good idea for some of the bushwhacks.Hey Eric,maybe we can put together some night hikes.Nighttime Devils' Path hike would be a nice one.

Last edited:
Hiking all 35 Catskill Peaks at night is a goal I would like to complete. I have hiked quite a few at night already,and it is certainly a interesting experience.Safety glasses are a good idea for some of the bushwhacks.Hey Eric,maybe we can put together some night hikes.Nighttime Devils' Path hike would be a nice one.

I'm TOTALLY down for some planning on this one!

I've done 2 night hikes of Overlook so far and some others have become night hikes, not really by choice though!

Jay

I just did Overlook on New Years Eve and we watched the last sunset of 2008 - it was one of the best I have EVER seen (I'm going to attempt to attach the photo :p

Oh, man. The Devil's Path at night, huh? That's a crazy one! I'd be afraid we might run into Satan himself in one of the deep, dark notches! :eek: