Parker Mountain/Evans Mountain bushwhack attempt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
I attempted to bushwhack from Parker Mountain to Evans Mountain today. I went to Mapquest and found a map. I got my bearings and went on a bushwhack, but I didn't make it to Evans Mountain. When I looked at a different map, the Mapquest map was wrong.

Even though I didn't make it to Evans, I had an excellent bushwhack. I saw a lot of animal tracks, and droppings. I saw some old stone walls and also the damage of chain saws.

I ended the bushwhack near Evans, but there were so many logging roads around that I didn't want to search for the summit and get lost.

I will be getting a topo map of the area. I'm practicing on local mountains now so I can ready for the whacks for the 100 Highest.

If you would like to see pictures from my hike, go to:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558344672cfXQXQ

Farmer Bob

I see you've been up there before... (AlpineZone trip report from 2001)

Things are generally easier with a detailed topo map and a compass, but for short sections (especially when you can see your own tracks in the snow and not get lost) it is possible to do without.

For the HH bushwhacks, you will find that many of them have distinguished herd paths. Do as much research here as possible and you will know where to look for them. Some are pretty serious BWs, though, so the more experience you have, the better. You will need to recognize landmarks along the way and not turn around the first time you run into blowdowns or a patch of thick spruce. Where there's a will, there's a way. (Or a way around!)

Finding the summit canister after a long 'whack is one of the most satisfying feelings you can get! :D

Farmer Bob said:
I attempted to bushwhack from Parker Mountain to Evans Mountain today. I went to Mapquest and found a map.
I will be getting a topo map of the area.
I climbed Evans from the W, a bit easier :) and agree there are a lot of roads not shown on the USGS map. Why are you using MapQuest and not topozone.com?

Farmer Bob said:
I'm practicing on local mountains now so I can ready for the whacks for the 100 Highest.
Although the HH require longer distances hiking (and driving :) the navigation is often easier because they tend to be distinctive. Picking up a minor bump going downhill is very tricky - you certainly would have found Parker from Evans.