Peekamoose/Table 1/7 or 1/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Okay, I've already discussed this one w/ a couple folks via PMs. I had hoped that one day this weekend might be clear, so as to offer views, but right now the forecast for both days is clouds w/ about 30% of snow showers. Since neither day is standing out weather-wise, and a couple people have said Sat. would be best, I think we should plan for Saturday.

The easiest way to go would be a simple in-and-out from Peekamoose Rd. As fun as an end-to-end would be, Denning Rd. would be a very long car-spot, plus there's the Neversink/Deer Shanty crossing to contend w/ on that side. Also, an in-and-out potentially gives the advantage of our own broken trail on the way out.

From Peekamoose Rd. to the summit of Table and back is a round trip of about 9 and 1/2 miles, w/ elevation gain of about 3K'. The great majority of the work is to the summit of Peekamoose, and Table is an easy walk from there. The new snow here in New Paltz was/is very wet and heavy-probably be about the same in the Catskills. Hopefully we have enough of a crew that trail-breaking duties can be shared. I'd like to start fairly early, 8 or at the latest, 8:30.

Anyone interested, post here and/or PM me. Maybe we can get some car pools together from New Paltz-cars can be left near my place or at the Thruway park-and-ride, which is just off Exit 18. I can either drive, or ride w/ someone and kick in for gas. Peekamoose Rd. can either be reached via RT 28, or by the "back way." If we go the back way, it would be easier to leave from my place, since it's on the west end of New Paltz, near RT32. If anyone needs directions once we get a plan together, I can PM 'em.

Matt

Hey Dr. Wu... Better control that lead foot of yours! ;)

I vote that you start at Rt 23A for the Escarpment trail and hike south to Peek/Table!

heck, what do I care, I'll be in the ADKs....;)

Really, I think Denning is a great trailhead, I love that house(s) complex at the end and I like the PE trail from that side, gives you good views of table along the way. Except for that one area of what looks like clearcut logging going on....

Jay

Jay H
What you cllimbing in the ADKs? How long are you going for?
I'd love to day hike in Dacks on Saturday biut need to be home for Sunday morning.

I'm backpacking the sewards with a bunch of friends this weekend... Not a daytrip though!

Jay

I've been included in those posts/plans. If I go for the overnight, would you want to carpool?

The Sat. forecast is pretty good as of now (Thurs. @ 6:30). Mid to high twenties, w/ sun and maybe some clouds. If it's really clear, maybe we can poke around for views on Table.

So to finalize, it's Peekamoose Rd. TH (RT 42) @ 8 AM Saturday. So far, we only have three definites-Wu, Rocky and myself. Anyone else interested? You guys bringing anyone else? Even w/ three we should have awesome trail-breaking power. :D

Matt

I'm in. Matt, I can carpool with you from either the park & ride or your house. How long will we need from there to the trailhead?

Funny coincedence, I was sitting here at work looking at my trail maps and contemplating doing Peekamoose, Table and then bushwacking to Van Wyck and back down. Unfortunately Sat. is out (I work until 6am in NYC). I'm looking at Sunday, let me know if you guys change the plan for any reason. It's Sarah's (wife) annual winter hike, so we'll be rolling with the JRT's. Also looking at Stoppel Point, I've never been there, supposed to be nice...

Fu Jow Pai said:
Funny coincedence, I was sitting here at work looking at my trail maps and contemplating doing Peekamoose, Table and then bushwacking to Van Wyck and back down. Unfortunately Sat. is out (I work until 6am in NYC). I'm looking at Sunday, let me know if you guys change the plan for any reason. It's Sarah's (wife) annual winter hike, so we'll be rolling with the JRT's. Also looking at Stoppel Point, I've never been there, supposed to be nice...

Hey Josef-unfortunately we're pretty much commited to Saturday at this point. It would have been cool to hike w/ you too. At least the trail will be broke out for you if you choose to go there Sunday. If you head elsewhere, I can vouch that Stoppel Point is indeed a nice place, as is that whole area of the Escarpment. There's a plane wreck right by the trail near there as well.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Thanx for the info on Stoppel, I think that's my plan. Let's keep in touch, do some shoeing in the next couple of weeks. Sundays are good for me. I'd like to put a nice dent in my winter 35's.

J

Halite said:
I'm in. Matt, I can carpool with you from either the park & ride or your house. How long will we need from there to the trailhead?
All Right! This is a repeat of last year... you, Matt, Tony and Me!

Looking forward to seeing you again, Harry. Hope we have a nice day like we did on Hunter.

-Dr. Wu

Hey guys, I'll be there Saturday at eight with my son(home from Germany-Army guy) and my friend John. Looking forward to the trip and the better weather.
-Tony

ROCKYSUMMIT said:
Hey guys, I'll be there Saturday at eight with my son(home from Germany-Army guy) and my friend John. Looking forward to the trip and the better weather.
-Tony
Wow! 6 people! This will be my second straight hike with a 6 person group! Cool!

-Dr. Wu