pemi 2 day traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebago

Reaction score
Will be spending 2 days next mid week doing the Bonds, Twins etc. would like some advise on a route that will include as many peaks as safely possible (old hippies). Will not be on the Flume & Lafayette side as they are off the 48 list. Will probably us tents and stay away from the huts. Coming in from the Kank or 3 works for us. Regards, Paul T.

[email protected]

Twins/Bonds

Will you have 2 cars? A thru hike would be easiest. One at North Twin Trailhead and one in Lincoln Woods. Otherwise it's an out and back with not many choices to camp as there is no legal camping above tree-line in the Whites. There are tent-sites at Guyot Shelter.

For an out and back hike I'd start at North Twin Trail and hike to Guyot via Twinway and Bondcliff Trails. Set up camp and either hit the Bonds that evening, especially to catch sunset from West Bond, or hit them next morning before hiking back over the Twins. THe hike from Lincoln Woods involves 5 miles each way of flat, boring and viewless trail along the Wilderness Trail.

Not sure what you mean about Flume and Lafayette being off the 48 list, unless you mean you've already bagged them. They're all on the list, the Twins and the Bonds.

KDT

pemi trip

would like to use 1 car. we do understand wmnf campsite rules. just wanted to get some past experiences on hike and times on the peaks on the East side?
thanks Paul T.

You could also make a loop with the Bonds using Thoreau Pond/Shoal Pond trails.

Shoal Pond Tr has several significant stream crossings. Thoreau Pond Tr has only one--above the falls. If need be, one can bushwack to the nearby bridge on the Ethan Pond Tr.

Doug

Trip

The trip I described from North Twin to Bondcliff is one of the most beautiful hikes I have done, or can be done, in the Whites. The hike is easily done in 2 days with plenty of time to enjoy the sights. A true "Wilderness" experience.

KDT

I have done that trip from a few different ways. All are different and have benefits:

-Up over the Twins & Bonds, out to Lincoln Woods (required a car spot)
-In through Zealand, bagging Zealand & the Bonds (required a car spot)
-In via Zealand, but going past Thoreau Falls to Wilderness Trail, then looping back over the Bonds and hitting Zealand on the way out (a loop, another variation we went by Shoal Pond)
-Out and back via Lincoln Woods over the Bonds
-Franconia Falls Trail to Camp 13, then up over the Twins and Bonds and looping back again to Lincoln Woods

I think my favorite was the Zealand, Thoreau Falls, over Bonds and back again route. We camped near the intersection of Lincoln Woods and the Bondcliff Trail (well off trail). Day 2 we camped along the ridge in the vicinity of Bonds. Day 3 was a long schlog out passing Zealand and the hut. Water is generally not a problem, only when you are along the Bond Ridge. There are some opportunities to camp 'up high'. They are hard to find, but depending on your number and your LNT practices they are amongst my favorites.

The Guyot shelter can also be worked into a trip. For a fee-based area, it's one of the finest. Reliable water there, too.

Almost anywhere down low that is 'legal' will provide for camping areas. Lots of hardwood and water on the valley floor.

DougPaul said:
You could also make a loop with the Bonds using Thoreau Pond/Shoal Pond trails.

Shoal Pond Tr has several significant stream crossings. Thoreau Pond Tr has only one--above the falls. If need be, one can bushwack to the nearby bridge on the Ethan Pond Tr.

Doug
Thoreau crossing can be nothing at all or certain death depending upon current rainfall and water levels...
Doug Paul has a lot more skill at the above mentioned navigation than I do, but last year LarryD, Tuco and I found the upper portions of the Thoreau trail very difficult to follow and with our lack of bushwhacking experience we found that trying to find the Ethan Pond Trail impossible.
Camping - there are spots off trail on the Bondcliff Trail - a bit past Guyot spur I believe - and if memory serves me right, the terrain off the Twinway between South Twin and the Bondcliff Junction is pretty flat and would make for good camping as long as you had enough water...it is a pretty dry area other than Guyot shelter...

sapblatt said:
Thoreau crossing can be nothing at all or certain death depending upon current rainfall and water levels...
Yes--that is why I mentioned the bushwack to the bridge. I haven't needed to do it myself (others have), but it is just follow the stream for ~2/10 a mile. (Looks trivial on the map... :) )

Doug Paul has a lot more skill at the above mentioned navigation than I do, but last year LarryD, Tuco and I found the upper portions of the Thoreau trail very difficult to follow and with our lack of bushwhacking experience we found that trying to find the Ethan Pond Trail impossible.
I have only done it S-N in winter with few ski tracks to help with the navigation, so I don't know how easy it is to follow the treadway. The southern portion is an RR right-of-way close to the river and is trivial to follow. The northern part is a bit harder. The tracks used to cross the river to avoid some bluffs--the bridges are gone now and the trail does some up-and-overs. There is also a spot or two where the trail turns a bit higher on the slope somewhat unexpectedly (these spots are detailed in the WMG and blazed). I also had a bit of difficulty finding the exact spot where the trail made its final turn up the hill just before the falls.

In general, you have a corridor with the river on your left and the hill on your right (until the turn upward just before the falls) so even if you cannot follow every bit of trail, you can tell where it generally has to go.

My guess is that N-S might be a bit easier, but I haven't done it.

There are some helpful details in the WMG--read it carefully and bring a copy of the page with you.

Doug

Only gone N-S a couple of times and never had a problem following the trail or crossing the stream. However, these were all later in the summer. Just an FYI.

thanks for thoughts, will give a report when back. hope the horse flies aren't as thick as they are in my back yard. somebody had a post on horseflies and remedies, I found if you back up to a big tree they fly off. So if you see some old hippies backed up to big trees say hello, regards Paul T.

You are hiking with someone, right? Perfect resolution. If they are swarming your head, calmly walk over to your hiking partner and ask "Hey, can you check my pack?" Once you are in close proximity to them, run like hell. A lot of the area where you are thinking has great footing, so while you still need to be careful, you can get 20-30 yards relatively quickly and shouldn't have much of an issue. Your hiking partner will wonder why you are now running, and moments later the horse- (or, more likely, deer-)fly will swarm them. For a double-bonus, they get bit and manage to take the fly out at the same time.

Works like a charm.