Phelps (2/5/09) & Allen (2/6/09-yipeeee !)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamFarmer

Reaction score
It was a pretty cold day on Thursday 2/5. I slept in late (KeeneValley Hostel) ,had an over-priced mediocre breakfast at the popular diner across the street and wandered over to the Loj.
There were few people hiking that day but I wanted to do a little something, so Phelps was it. I casually began about 11AM, telling myself I would apply all the stuff I learned from previous winter hikes. I wanted to preserve myself as much as possible for Friday and Allen.
I was experimenting with breathing through a “face cover” to cut the chill of the air on my lungs. I think the cold air (10 and lower) hurts my performance and causes me to cough for a couple days. Wearing the face cover helps me.
I was also trying to hike without the trekking poles. I didn’t like that at all.
It was a great day and the views were awesome. I had been to the top of Phelps once before and really liked the view looking towards Colden with Marcy on the left, and Avalanche Pass and Algonquin on the right. This time I remembered my camera when I dropped my pack at the first little icy section (10 minute from the top). No crampons needed here.
After getting back down to Marcy Dam I saw a couple people as I sat at the L/T near the trail junction and enjoyed the sun. I drank and ate a bunch figuring I’d minimize the need for any recuperation time. I was back by 4 and called my wife to let her know I was “out” . Then I called Aunt Pollys to get accommodations in Newcomb for that night and hustled for the Mountaineer in Keene Valley to get trekking poles.
After the Mountaineer, I went back to Keene and had a tremendous “extra thick” chocolate milkshake and an assorted sub from Stewarts . The “kid” did a super job making everything and I went back in and told him so. Then on to Aunt Pollys.

When I got there, TurkeyBob and “El Loco” (Kieth) were lounging, having gotten themselves completely ready for the next day. These dudes are prepared ! I scrambled around , dryed some stuff, and unpacked and repacked for the next day. I heard there might be a 4th hiker showing up but we didn’t know for sure. And all of a sudden, there’s “Snickers” !
I had never met her before but felt like I knew her from reading postings and PM’s in the past. I feel this way about a bunch of the forum members.
She had hiked about 5 out of the last 6 days but wisely thought it was a good time to get Allen. Everyone was in their rooms by 9:30 or so for the 4:30 get up.
I was too excited to sleep right away but eventually “conked-out”. I woke up a while later, afraid to look at the clock. I took inventory of how my body felt . I was ready !
Finally, I was going to get Allen and IN THE WINTER ! What a coup de theatre !

I sat up and faced a digital clock that delivered a read-out of 2:30. I hate waking up early. I thought about getting up and starting the hike by myself but laid there and dozed off about 4:15. Oh well…

We hit the trail head around 6ish where I met Nancy (Highonlife) who was waiting for the “Adirondack Ladies”. I had never met Nancy before but felt as comfortable as if it was an “old friend”. We took off, knowing we’d probably see JoeCedar and JayH who were starting after us…..that is…. if they could ever catch up ! :rolleyes:

I immediately felt alienated especially by TurkeyBob who left me alone at the trailhead to sign myself in :eek:. He and El Loco flew down the trail ahead of Snickers who luckily turned to see me waving frantically with tears running down my cheek. WIAT …WAIT…DON’T LEAVE ME…THIS IS ALLEN …….I screamed…… she comforted me and promised to not desert me….and proceeded to deliver a stern tongue-lashing to Bob and El Loco when we caught them at the Adams turn-off. ;)
Well, we plodded along far a while when Nancy and the “Adirondack lady” group passed us, then Jay and Joe. We leap-frogged with “the Ladies” all the way to the summit, and all hiked out as one group. Jay and Joe passed us on their way out as we were still ascending and a little below the slide.

What a relief to get to that summit ! I was very slow on the way up and should have eaten more before the climb. It was so nice to change and refuel at the top. It was a very festive atmosphere with 8 happy hikers. There were many comments this day bout how great the conditions were and the weather. I can’t imagine a better “winter” day for doing this hike.
THANK YOU PIN-PIN , YVON, AND ALL THE OTHER GUYS FROM QUEBEC WHO I DON’T KNOW THE NAMES OF.YOU ARE ALL TOUGHER THAN ME !

Then came the pure delight of butt-sliding ! God, that was sweet ! Down, down we slid.
Not to fast, but fast enough. Under blowdown, around trees, over ice, down and down
we came to the bottom of the slide….and even a little after that.

And so, the grind began back to the cars. The jubilation of summiting Allen along with nice weather and great company made this more tolerable than most and after 12 hours, we were back !

No one took me up on the offer of a really cold Bud, so I changed and headed for the JackRabbit Hostel in Lake Placid. Along the way I hit Stewarts in Long Lake for another milkshake and sub. Little Rickie had already arrived at the JackRabbit and he showed me around since it was my first time. He would be hiking Street and Nye on Saturday before the ADKHIGHPEAKS gathering and I would rest, eat, nap, do laundry, nap…..:cool: