Photos of the weekend in the Whites 1/14-17/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
We had a great weekend in the Whites! We hit 4 peaks, Moosilauke, Cannon, Jackson, and Tecumseh. The conditions were great for all 4 peaks, but very different at times.

Friday, we went with Hiker Ed and company to Moosilauke. We had to break trail thru about a foot of fluffy powder, but with a large group, the hike was pretty easy.

The undercast views were spectacular!

tr4.jpg

Snow Sculpture near the summit

tr5.jpg

Summit Sign

tr6.jpg

Saturday, we hooked up with J&J to do Cannon. Hiker Ed once again brought along a big crew. The trail was broken, but steep! We made good time up to the view ledges and admired the Franconias:

tr1.jpg

Then we set our sights on the summit.

tr8.jpg

It was a little windy on the platform and a memorial service was going on so we did not stay long. Back at the parking lot, we met Big Earl and Sue. As he related, they were unable to summit! :eek: Conditions change quickly in the Whites in the Winter!

Sunday, we again joined J&J to do Jackson. It was cold and a light snow was falling. At the top, the wind was blowing pretty hard. I could not keep my hat(s) on, and my face got really cold, so this was a quick summit shot.

tr7.jpg

We did see a 'snow bunny' :D

tr3.jpg

Finally, we hit Tecumseh. It was about -5F but clear and calm. This being the 4th trip in 4 days, we took it slowly, and made it to the top in about 2.25 hours. The snow base is pretty minimal over here and the trail was HARD packed. We got a nice view of the Tri-Pyramids at the top.

tr2.jpg

To warm up, we buzzed down the mountain in about 1:05!

As usual, Laurie gets most of the photo credit, unless I can get credit for saying, 'OOOH!', take a picture of that! :D

Milestones, The Moose was my 200th Winter Ascent, and Jackson my 800th overall.

We can't wait for our next trip!

Last edited:
We had a great weekend in the Whites! We hit 4 peaks, Moosilauke, Cannon, Jackson, and Tecumseh. The conditions were great for all 4 peaks . . .
Excellent!

Did you guys work some kind of magic to have such favorable winter-weather conditions for all of your hikes?:D:cool:

IndianChris said:
AWESOME SHOTS!
Never been to the whites. That makes me want to go so bad!
Did you guys camp out?
How many miles in all?

No camping, just stayed in Twin Mt. which is pretty centrally located for what we did.

25 miles over 4 hikes ====> 10 / 5 / 5 / 5
10000' of elevation gain ==> 3K / 2.3 / 2.3 / 2.3

TrishandAlex said:
Congratulations! And those milestones -- amazing!!

If I ever get full of myself, I stop and think about Pinpin, who has 100 ADK rounds, or HikerEd, who has 67 NH rounds, (I have 2 of each) and that puts me in my place.

Love the picture of the wind swept snow!
That was Laurie all the way! It's my favorite shot of the weekend!

Excellent!

Did you guys work some kind of magic to have such favorable winter-weather conditions for all of your hikes?:D:cool:

I cashed in a couple of green squares to get this great weather! :D :p