Places to stay in Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mink319

Reaction score
Hi, I really want to go to Maine this summer. I haven't decided what part yet but I am thinking of anywhere from Sugarloaf Mtn to Mount Khatadin, as long as its a nice area. If anyone knows of any nice yet cheap places to stay in interior Maine please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Motels?

For Baxter State Park, we've stayed at both the Katahdin Inn and Hotel Terrace in Millinocket.

For most of the Western mountains, we stayed at the Spillover Motel in Stratton (we were told no place in Stratton has a/c, so wait until it cools off a bit before heading there) and at a B&B in Kingsfield, the name of which I've forgotten (a house just before a bridge, I think; not downtown).

For Saddleback, we stayed at the Saddleback Motor Inn. High on a hill just above the town, with a big pink pig on display the day we arrived (they have pig roasts every now and then). We couldn't get any attention from the idiot behind the front desk at the expensive place downtown, so I won't recommend it.

Last edited:
There are also the hiker hostels. I think the Caratunk Inn or something like that in Caratunk, Shaw's and Pie Lady's in Monson and a bunch in Andover. These tend to lie along the AT corridor. I'm thinking of staying at Shaws when I do some peaks in that area: Big Moose, Baker, White Cap, Big Spencer, etc.

If Hostel accomodations are good enough for you (I used Pine Ellis in Andover and Shaws in Monson and they are were clean and Shaws in particular had great dinners and breakfasts) then this will save you money big time.

Check the On-line Companion for details: AT Thru-hikers Companion.

Pb

Last edited:
Just remembered, I also stayed at Gull Pond Lodge in Rangeley and the Stratton Motel. That used to have a hiker hostel section. And next door, the White Wolf, (besides a restaurant) has a hostel on the second floor.

Read through the Companion.Lots and lots of good stuff in there.

Pb

JoMary Lake CG

I have to add to this list the steal of the Hundred Mile Wilderness. JoMary Lake Campground. This is a great base to use for hiking the AT from Pollywog Gorge to Third Mountain doing only day hikes and exploring Gulf Hagas. When I went there last year we rented a trailer on site right on the shore of JoMary Lake with a phenomenal view of Mt. Katahdin. We had four gentleman and they charged us for the trailer not per person a whopping $44 per night. It had a stove, refrigerator, table, bunks for 8, toilet, sink & an awning over the picnic table outside but a small table inside was also available. The CG had hot showers, small store (minimal supplies & selection) & laundry machines, and canoe rentals. We were there after Labor Day and had the lake to ourselves and the loons. I rated this as one of the best camping experiences I have ever had. OH yes they waive the logging road fee of $8 per person per day for out of state people when you have reservations at the CG. By the Way, reservations at the CG are a must. I have a great log of this trip, that you can use for planning. It is on Alpine Zone's website: http://forums.alpinezone.com/topic-9-0-50.html . Scroll down to the series of threads starting with MAINE AT 8/29 and work your way up. The links to the pictures are no longer available. If you have any other questions you can send me an e-mail to: [email protected] and I can help you out with any other planning questions.

This year, I am using Shaw's in Monson, ME for 3 nights & Pine Grove Lodge (also for 3 nights)outside of Bingham, ME for a dayhiking southbound AT section traverse from Monson to the east end of Flagstaff Lake. The website for Shaw's is: www.shawslodging.com . I stayed there at the end of my 100 Mile wildrness traverse and was very satisfied. Pine Grove Lodge's website is: www.pinegrovelodge.com . I never stayed here and have not received recommendations but you can camp on their premises and it is convenient for car shuttling from Moxie Lake to East Flagstaff Road. They serve a full breakfast and have cabins/bunkrooms for $30 per person including the breakfast. Sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
I have to agree. For the price the Katahdin Inn in Millinocket was rather nice. Even during peak season. 15-20 minutes from the toll gate at BSP.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like the sound of the Loon Lodge, but I dont know if the rest of the family would be up for that but I will have to go there this winter for XC skiing and ice fishing.