Plane crash site on Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadie

Reaction score
My father has wanted to go to the plane crash site on Moosilauke for years now, and I think we are going to finally go later this week. I am not sure how to get to the site. From what I've seen from information found online is that it is just south of the Mt. Waternomee peak. Looking at the AMC map, it looks like the best way there is parking at on the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge road and getting to the Asquam Ridge trail, which looks like it goes just to the west of the Mt. Waternomee peak. It looks like it is probably about a 2-3 mile trip there? I would assume there would be some sort of herd path to it? Can anyone give any guidance-or recommend a more detailed map- to help find the bomber site on Moosilauke? Thanks!

No, that isn't the best way. Start at the Walker Ravine road, near the bottom of 118 by the junction with 112. It's gated, so park there and walk to the end of the road, where it crosses a stream without a bridge. From there, follow the well established herd path to the crash site. It's pretty obvious these days, not much of a bushwack.

-dave-

Wait until May 14th if possible

I think the best time to visit the bomber is around May 14th. The snow is always out at that elevation and the bugs and leaves have yet to arrive.
Its best in the narrow window of May 9 to May 19.

Please don't take any souvenirs and remember there may yet be unexploded small munitions.

el

Re: Dave Metsky's post. It's not Walker Ravine, it is Walker Brook Road (USFS). Walker Ravine is the one on Lafayette. When you are there, check out the bomb crater right in the middle of the old logging road near the center of the site. Several UXBs were removed from the site by Army EOD techs that spring. This fall I might walk some of the old logging roads to see if they come out on 118.

This would be another good candidate for a flag on 9/11 to replace the old one(s) there.

Sorry, typing quickly and getting two Walkers mixed up. You are correct, of course.

One of those logging roads is a snowmobile trail, which runs very close to the crash site. It comes out somewhere on 118.

-dave-