Price vs. Weight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much would you spend to reduce the weight of your pack (starting weight 40 lbs)

• $250 to get to 35 lbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $500 to get to 30 lbs

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • $1,000 to get to 20 lbs

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other factors are more important than weight

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters

imarchant

Reaction score
How much money are you willing to spend to reduce the weight of your pack?

For example: Would you rather spend $250 for a 2.5 Lb. or $150 for a 3.5 Lb, 0 degree winter sleeping bag? What other Factors do you consider? Size?, Quality?, Brand?, Water resistance?

For me I find size to be more important than weight. The main reason I went to light weight gear was because I could use a smaller pack. This increased my upper bodies mobility, which comes in handy when doing rock scrambles with a full pack.

My pack weight is probably somewhere in the mid 20’s fully loaded with 3 litters of water and a weekend's worth of food, but I’m not positive on that because I’ve never actually weighed my gear. I do know I can fit everything I need (3 season anyway) in my 3100ci pack.

I actually haven’t spent too much on reducing my pack weight. Here are the major things I bought:
Pack - $90
Sleeping bag - $40
Tarp - $65
Cooking pot/cup - $6
Pepsi can stove – About $2 (materials per stove)
Total - $203

Last edited:
I don't really know which option to check, so here's my philosophy. I want lightweight gear, but I don't want to spend a premium amount. I would have to say that my pack size and weight are very comprable to what lumberzac said.

I'll give a rundown like lumberzac did:
Trail running shoes: $35 (a pound off the feed is worth 5 off the back.0
Pack: $45 (GVP G-4)
Tarp: $40 (Campmor 8x10)
Titanium Kettle: $40 (MSR Titan)
"Esbit Wing Stove": free (homemade from scrounged parts...)
Sleeping Bag: $30 (2lb 7oz. 3 season bag)
Waterproof Jacket: $16 (PV coated nylon anorak)
LED headlamp: $15 (homemade also...)

Altogether around $230 and a weight savings of...crap, don't have my gear calculator on this computer. I'll have to update later...

Basically I'm not willing to go to any expense to lighten up, but will do it by the most efficient method I can devise.

Almost all my trips are overnights, & I really haven't bought into the light weight craze yet. Most of my gear is between 5 and 10 years old. If I go away for a long weekend, I'm looking at about pounds +/-, depending on whether or not Chica carries her food or I do. I really have no goals at this point in my life other than to have fun. For a short trip, you'll probably find me packing a book, fresh veggies, tevas, a french press and a cannoli or 2 :D

I would echo what was said earlier in that ultralight doesn't have to lighten your wallet. I have a tent, pack, bag and pad that together weigh 10 lbs and I didn't spend a fortune. It is possible to go nutso and drop a lot of money on this stuff if you have it to burn, but I don't think it's necessary.
I do reserve this gear for long hikes, and bring the extras for the shorter, less strenuous hikes.

cheap gear

I agree. I am into this whole ultrlight thing because of the premature wear on my knees and back (I'm only 25 years old!!). But I didn't spend a lot to get my pack weight below 20 lbs. And no one needs to. Sure, if you have the money, name brand light weight gear is great, but you can improvise. You'd be amazed at what you can find at wal-mart (or elsewhere) and turn it into ultralight gear with a little ingenuity.

OK - I thought it was a combination of a French Curl and a Bench Press:p

My big four are fairly light. Kind of by default though. My gear was pretty well used up, so when I replaced it I chose lighter weight gear.

Pack 4 pounds
Tent 2.75 pounds
Zrest 1 pound
Sleeping bag 2.75 pounds

I've decided to purchase a REI 40 degree goosedown bag for 99 bucks, it weighs 1.5 pounds. Thats about as lightweight as I plan on going. It will get my base weight down to 9.5 lbs.

Like Bobmak I may have to carry some of Moxies food if we're going more than a couple of days. Plus I usually bring a book, teva's and some fresh veggies. No cannoli though :(
I love a good cannoli. My grandmother made the best. So if I meet up with you on the trail Bobmak, would you share your cannoli? It would lighten your pack :D :D

Nadine

I'm with lumberzac in that I make size very important, the weight will generally follow. My 3 season sleeping bag is a Western Mountaineering Iroquios I got at a closeout price last year, it's rated to 38deg but is fairly warm for me down to 32. and is really light, something like 1lb 10oz or so. But more importantly, it squishes to like a grapefruit size.

I get this from bicycle touring where size is more of a limiting factor than weight, assuming your racks are rated for a good size. But since I buy gear to use for both backpacking and self-supported bike touring, I have kind of became an ultralight backpacker by design. My 1 person tent (MSR Zoid 1) is fairly small, but not as small as the hennessey hammock I got which I haven't tried out yet...

Jay

I've always felt that the products longevity is more important than it's weight (this was a problem with mountain biking parts about 5 years ago). If the item is light but doesn't hold up to the abuse a trail can put it through it's not worth any $$$. I have a Western Mountaineering Mitylite bag that is rated to 30 degrees and weighs about 1.5 pounds. It did cost a few beans but my experience with Western Mountaineering is that you only have to buy the bag once! So over the course of my lifetime it will pay for it self. So my advise is invest in the quality above all else....then you'll have the item for years to come.

Most of our overnights in the Whites are winter trips,so it's difficult to reduce pack weight and not compromise safety. I have gone to all titanium cookwear,and a 5lb 2 person Walrus 4 season tent. Recently added a MH Phantom down jacket-super light and compacts to the size of a Nalgene bottle,but really warm.
Some things you just can't shortcut though,like crampons and snowshoes.
For a typical winter overnight I carry 40-45 lbs,and my wife carries 35-40lbs. We eat well,and stay warm and comfortable to about -10o.
I figure we're doing pretty well for pack weight,but always open to suggestions!

Light weight to is very relative. By myself, I carry a 1lb hammock, 1lb tarp, 3lb bag and 7lb pack(20 year old Marmott). With my 2 sons, change to 8.5lb 3 person tent, an extra 2lb daypack on top of the Marmott, and lots of extra food and clothes. Can approach 50-60lb total. Can't justify the extra $ to make things lighter. We still have lots of FUN! I do keep an eye on EMS's bargain corner for good deals.

I typically buy new gear because of some reason other than weight, but then try to use weight as one of the factors in deciding what to buy. Generally, I'll pay more for something that weighs less, but it's hard to put a number on it.

To answer the example question, I'd pay $100 more for a one-pound lighter sleeping bag. To answer the survey question based on my personal experience, let's say I wanted to buy three-season backpacking gear (tent, pack, sleeping bag, stove) so I didn't have to lug around four-season gear in warmer weather thereby reducing my pack weight from 40 lbs to 20 lbs. I'd expect to pay more than $1000. for the new gear, and would do it over a few years.

Umm. I dunno

Like jbrown, I couldn't check one option. Weight is important to me, I'm not a big person to start with and I have some back problems, .... but, I also will not leave for an overnight without my 1.75 inch self inflating thermarest and my camp pillow. And I tend to overpack to be prepared for anything.

When stocking up for the first time, I did take weight into consideration but couldn't see spending a premium to save an ounce or two here or there. I guess if I had the money to spare, I would though because I know how that pack feels after 11 or 12 miles.

30 - 35 lbs is my goal when backpacking. I can't handle any more than that.