Put that GPS on a Leash!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No mention of a compass or a paper map.
Right, even a simple lapel compass could have been enough to save much grief. So much the better along with a map in a sturdy wind and water proof protective case.

Regardless of where you roam, there is the unwritten "rule of up", which means that as long as you continue to travel in an overall upward slope direction, you willl eventuallly end up at the summit.

However, after reaching the summit, the "rule of down" has 360 degrees of choices and only guarantees that you will descend to someplace, not necessarily including anywhere easy to continue from or recognizable to you, or endiing up at any location where you may want to be.

Last edited:
Better have a leash for that paper map, too! I usually have my compass on a lanyard around my neck, I don’t want to lose it and while I know the liquid inside it isn’t water I’m assuming it can get thick at cold temps. I wouldn’t want to get an incorrect reading because I didn’t wait long enough for the needle to force its way through semi-solid oil.

Regardless of where you roam, there is the unwritten "rule of up", which means that as long as you continue to travel in an overall upward slope direction, you willl eventuallly end up at the summit.
Well, a summit, not necessarily the one you were aiming for.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 87/115 (62/67, 23/46, 2/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 41/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017; FHT EB 2023

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll