Range on first days of winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PackMule

Reaction score
A group of 6 are going to be at Grace camp this weekend. We are looking to see if anyone has plans on attempting Saddleback, Basin and Haystack this weekend and may be interested in sharing the work breaking trail.

We may also break into 2 groups and attempt the above and as crazy as it sounds try to get Marcy, Gray and Skylight :eek:.

Anyone intrested let me know and we can work out times to meet up.

I'm planning on doing Gray from the Loj and Feldspar on Sunday 12-23. I'm also hoping to have a companion or two with me but nothing is firm. I wouldn't mind doing Skylight as well. Because I'm such a gentleman I'll let your group go first and enjoy the site of unbroken virgin snow.

I won't be doing Marcy.

Nope, we are going to Nippletop and Dial this Saturday, starting very early!

Saddleback, 12/15

I climbed Saddleback from Orebed brook last Saturday (before the weekend snow of at least 2 feet up there; 16" in Keene). Beyond the col the snow was 2-3 feet deep (you now may double that) , and my hard earned tracks are probably gone now too! Took about 5 hours up from the Garden, 3 hours back. You'll probably be happy with climbing one peak.

Thanks,
I will have to pass that along to the others in the group.
Sounds like we are in for a long day....

Saddleback & Basin

Can't wait to read your trail report, once you get back. Take some pictures at the top for us. Good luck :D

Well i guess the snow and the early season legs has scared us away from such a long hike :( .
Looks like a few of us are passing on the cabin and looking to finish off the lake rd area and hit sawteeth.

Backcountry Conditions as posted Dec. 20:

Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 37 inches
Snow Depth at 4,000 ft.: 4-5 feet
Surface Conditions: powder
Comments: All popular backcountry routes are skiable. Avalanche Pass broken out along with the Whales Tail.