Raquette Lake area hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria

Reaction score
Hi -

I'm going to be driving back on Monday after the July 4th weekend from the Syracuse area through the lower adks and want to meet up with a friend for a hike in this area. I really only know the high peaks and northwestern adks. Any suggestions for a 6 mile or so hike to break up the drive? I'd love to include a swim but not mandatory :) Also I'm planning on take Rte 28 back, so it doesn't have to be right at Raquette, but I just don't want to get too far off track.
Thanks! Maria

Maybe Snowy Mountain near Indian Lake. 7.5 miles RT, 2100 feet elevation gain. There are beaches at Indian and Lewey lakes.

If you will be returning to the Syracuse area via Rte 28 …

I second AlGonquin Bob’s recommendation.

As alternatives:

A loop hike to Middle Settlement Lake from Rte 28 near Thendara as a nice option. The loop is more than 6 mi, and not exactly near Raquette Lake, but the trailhead is right along your planned route home (on NY 28) and readily doable. I think the lake is swimmable, but half your hike will lie ahead of you after the dip.

A quickie with substantial rewards is Rondaxe (Bald) Mountain between Eagle Bay and Old Forge, with the trailhead just off Rte 28. Great lake views and a firetower. About 2 mi round trip, which is less than you asked for but leaves substantial opportunity for finding “dipping” opps at public beaches nearby in Inlet, Eagle Bay or Old Forge the Fulton Chain of lakes.

Let us know what you decide to do.

G.

Thanks. I should be able to pick up the adk book for that area tomorrow and will check your ideas out and let you know what we decide to do - my friend is up in Saranac Lake so we're trying to find something convenient for both of us. I am heading back home to westchester county, so this would be a stop along the way.
Maria

Based on updated info, I more strongly endorse AlGonquin Bob's recommendation. Blue Mountain Lake is the natural spot for your rendezvous, since that is where Rte 28N and 28 split. From there you can head home to Westchester via Rte 28, which loops to the SE and will take you over to Rte I-87.

It's all interesting territory.

G.

Thanks again everyone - wish I could do a trip report, but there was an unexpected illness (better now) in my family so I had to cancel that part of my trip. I'll be in the adks for 10 days early August, so maybe I'll head over there then.
Maria