Ray Brook to Upper Works

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
Should we travel 73 to the Northway to the North Hudson exit and travel 2 to Upper Works OR should we travel down through Tupper and Long Lakes and pick up the Upper Works road from 28N? From the map, 2 looks fairly straight, not too twisty as 73. Also, how "scenic" is this road? Joel (Adirondack Journey) seems to think the northway route is the quickest. Would like some other opinions on this. We want to climb Mt. Adams early in September. :) Thanks in advance!

I think from Ray Brook its over an hour plus either way. Driving through 73 is more scenic. However, anytime I've started out at UW we start so early that we are driving in the dark and scenery doesn't matter.

Northway is probably the fastest. I drive down the from Long Lake to get to UW since I come via Tupper. When driving back to Lake Placid via the 73 I always find it nicer.

Might be because I'm pretty relaxed at the end of the hike and really eager to start at the beginning though...

-Shayne

I’m inclined to think the drive via Rte 73, the Northway and across Blue Ridge Road (Rte 2) from North Hudson is the quicker way from Ray Brook to Upper Works. It also is considerably more “scenic.” I’d allow myself at least 90 minutes (maybe as much as two hrs) for the trip in my planning. Watch out for the Border Patrol checkpoint on I-87 just north of interchange 29 at North Hudson.

G.