Rebirth (Algonquin & Wright - In winter)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
After finishing the 46 peaks as last fall, our family has certainly gone through a little of that post-completion blues that everyone talks about. We all have our own lists and goals, but I sure miss that common “togetherness” bond that we found chasing the initial 46, and I think they do too. But what to do about it, is the real question?

Winter is our absolute busiest and toughest time of the year, and it's next to impossible to get away, but this year we had committed to making an effort to “try a few” winter peaks. And so we would. We met adk-46er, a friend of his and Lurkette at the LOJ trailhead at just before 8 AM (12/30/04) and were soon underway. The weather was perfect with mostly blue skies and balmy temps in the mid-20’s. There was a reasonable covering of snow (about 6-10 inches) and the trail was well tromped out. We barebooted for the early portion and made good progress up past the waterfall.

Once we reached “the knob” at about 3700’, we switched to snowshoes for better traction on the ever-steepening terrain. Progress slowed, but we steadily gained elevation up past the Wright junction and up to the treeline. We choose to snowshoe above the trees, but life would have been much simpler had we donned the crampons for that “little” extra bite into the bulletproof snow and rime that covered the entire summit dome (a mistake we didn't make on the way down :rolleyes: ). Marching forward, face into that biting, raw breeze that one can only feel high up on the exposed barren expanse of treeless wonder. Just me and my family, plodding on, reaching and striving towards our wondrous first winter summit together. As I near the summit, I squint my eyes to shield them from the blinding whiteness, and what is that I see? What the……………………..

Why its Post’r Boy, WITH HIS SHIRT OFF, making hideous Tarzan-like noises into the wind. Yup, we were fortunate enough to share our first winter summit with, not only adk-46r, Shannon and Lurkette, but also with Post’r Boy, the legendary Frodo, Arm, Chickadee, Ed Hawkins and a couple other VFTTers. After a few (20 or so) minutes we started back down and found conditions were perfect for a 1000’ butt slide all the way down to the Wright junction (well, most of the way anyhow). At the junction, I was the only one that felt like bagging Wright, so I told the group to go on and I'd hustle up and back lickity split, which I did. Round trip from the junction was 38 minutes (with 6 minutes taking pics up top) and greatly assisted by a beautiful 250’ butt slide (below the treeline). Continuing rapidly ahead, I soon caught the rest of the group and we walked easily out. 7 hours and 40 minutes for the whole round trip loop.

It was great to be on top with the family pronouncing ourselves 1ers (and later bragging to them that I was a 2er, and they weren't :p ). Life is good again, we’re still hiking as a family, and once again looking forward to our next adventure together in the woods. Will we ever affix the winter rocker to our 46R patch? Does it even matter? Thanks to Joe, Shannon and Diana for making our trip extra special and for “coaxing” Ashley out of her shell :).

We got some kicking photos of this great day in -MY GALLERY-

Last edited:
Wow!

Happy New Year!
Awesome Pics Mavs! That looks like the perfect winter day.
I tried to spot Jacko and his buddy over on Colden Slide... they went up the same day....a 200 times zoom might have done it ;)
Good luck on your quest for the winter 46.
-Phil

I want to thank Tim,Kate,Nick,Ashley, Shannon, and Lurkette for making this a great trip. "Also the pine martin at the wright juction" Nick kept us informed on time and distance and Ashley was a never ending source of entertainment the whole trip.She made what is normally a long silent trip out enjoyable and it made the time go by so much faster. Lurkette was so impressed with her crampons I would not be surprised if she wears them to work when she gets off vacation. The weather and conditions were great : but the company was better. The only downside to the trip was post'r boy topless at Algonquins summit :eek: I can only hope that time will heal the memory :D

Last edited:
I only wish that I could have changed my day off in order to join all of you good people. The previous day in the Sewards found a total of only 4 hikers all day, and no visibility. But I met "Hikerick" and we made the trip together. A 1000 foot butt slide?! What fun! Congratulations to you all on your first winter peak. -Bob

Way to go Dubois Family!

Winter hiking on glorious days is too much fun!

Great pics. From Seward we were on an island in a sea of clouds. Did you happen to swing the camera that far west? I got a shot of the Santanonis that looks like the backside image of your shot. A nice little glimpse of the Cold River in a hole in the clouds, the Santanonis and nothing but clouds stretching toward the southern horizon. From Seward it looked like the interior was all clouds too, pretty neat how the all the big peaks kept the clouds at bay in there.

mavs00 said:
After finishing the 46 peaks as last fall, our family has certainly gone through a little of that post-completion blues that everyone talks about. We all have our own lists and goals, but I sure miss that common “togetherness” bond that we found chasing the initial 46, and I think they do too. But what to do about it, is the real question?

Mavs -- I highly reccommend ice climbing, and rock in the spring / summer/ fall. It's the best. Sure, I love hiking, and Im up to 28 of the 46, but I find myself grabbing my rope more than my hiking boots in the summer, and this winter, well, its been all ice climbing. I think it would be something really special to have a while family climbing say the chapel pond slab. I know I would love it. Yeah, sure it's a lot more money in gear, more time to learn something, more danger ,etc etc etc.... but think of it the way I do -- it's gets you back into the lovely 'dacks, and could quite possibly be your next obsession!!

- just a thought, and my $0.02.

-- iceclimber (chirx)

Hey Arm, did you happen to get a shot of Seward that day?

I was on the summit around the same time you were on Algonquin, floating above the clouds. It would be cool to see where we were from the interior view. Nice pics, and you might as well save Iroquois for last. It is truly the gem of the range!

Sean,

Looking through my photos of the day, I did find this shot I took. Looking straight center (way in the distance), you can see Seymour and Seward popping up above the clouds. Here you go.

DCP_4077.sized.jpg

p.s. you can find the full size image in my gallary (or PM for it)