Reflections on finishing the 48 - Part 1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
I started hiking at age 43 in 1994. I missed the team sports and physical activities that I’d enjoyed in my younger years. Work was stressful and I needed a physical outlet. My family was in the habit of vacationing in Waterville Valley and for several years my friend Michael had been getting up early and going hiking for the day. Yet when he asked me I would analyze the options – hang out by the pool or trudge through the buggy woods I chose the pool option every time. But finally I acquiesced. We climbed the two Osceolas and bagged two 4000-footers. The thrill of descending that steep chimney between the Osceolas was all that I needed. I was hooked.

I enjoyed all aspects of the adventure. The thumbing through the oddly-shaped White Mountain Guide represented the planning and anticipation aspect which was a perfect complement to my personality and life patterns. The assemblage of clothing and gear was also fun as it allowed me to daydream about stuff I needed even though I really didn’t. Another aspect was the apprehension about the hazards, which added to the excitement. The actual hiking was the best part as it involved that inexplicable sense of freedom as you traversed through the woods and, if you were lucky, got to marvel at jaw-dropping views that only peak baggers get to see. And, as I soon realized, the completion of the hike was also gratifying because as an inveterate record-keeper I would get to check off another mountain and muse about it as I lay in bed that night with both a few aches and pains and a feeling of accomplishment and awe.

Along the journey to completion of the 48 I began experimenting with other outdoor pursuits. I did a lot more hiking than just the 48. I took up snow-shoeing which has been a great new activity. I also started using GPS receivers. When I wasn’t hiking the big mountains I began geocaching in the smaller mountains of the Wapack range and Blue Hills, to name a few.

I began using the Internet more frequently as part of my preparation. A great resource was Mohammed’s web site. I also made a habit of stopping in the Mountain Wanderer and talking to Steve Smith after each journey. His book was an important resource and a great read.

After nabbing those first few of the 48 in Waterville Valley I was hooked. I began reading the WMG during the cold winter nights planning my next ascent in the spring. I would mentally fasten together long trips that would require that I cobble together trail descriptions from different chapters of the guide, all the while having those crazy folding maps in my lap as I mentally hiked the journey.

You know the phrase “that come spring, a young man’s thoughts turn to….? Well in this case my hiking partner’s thoughts turned to golf. So, I became a solo hiker. I remember my first solo hike to a 4000-footer, Liberty. By this time I had created a hiking check list so I wouldn’t forget anything. I carefully packed and re-packed my backpack, including all the requisite safety items. I set out up the Liberty Springs trail on a rainy late-May day feeling refreshed as I passed melting patches of winter snow. When I got the top of the ridge, I felt that familiar gust of high mountain wind and as I made the right hand turn I realized I had left my sandwiches and snacks in the car. I had planned to nab Flume that day but my stomach made me head back down.

As the years went by I would average a handful of 4000-footers per year, interspersing other climbs. Health issues prevented me from hiking a few years, but I always thought about the 48 and some of the classic hikes I hadn’t yet experienced. All of my climbs were between May and October.

My last peak was Carrigain on 9/4/09. It was particularly special because my hiking partner and his wife joined me. This was the 20th 4000-footer I had climbed with my hiking partner, Squashman, and the first with his wife, Golden Larch. None of us were in the best of shape and the slog up the trail was slow. Maybe it is my imagination, but the upper portion of the Signal Ridge trail seems to be as rocky as any trail as I can remember. You can’t ever get a pace going as you are balancing on rocks the entire time. You know how that when you reach that point of exhaustion and you start saying to yourself, “Why am I doing this?” Well, those first views off Signal Ridge towards Mt Lowell answers that question. And then you look up at the fire tower and realize you still have some elevation and distance to cover. When you get up onto the tower you are on top of the world. You can’t help but reflect back on the mountains you’ve climbed because all but a few are laid out in front of you. It is a perfect #48 because of the summit views.