Retiring to Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be retiring in Maine within two years. I moved to NH in 1983 from CT to get away from the crowds. I have loved living in NH the whole time. I will be moving to Maine to once again avoid the crowds. I have fallen in love with downeast Maine. Washington county is the poorest in Maine and do not go there expecting to find employment but the benefits are far to great to list here. I own 25 acres on rt1 in Pembroke Maine and a house 13 miles away in Eastport. My camp in Pembroke provides the land, solitude and relaxation I enjoy. Eastport provides the in town living that is attractive in retirement. Eastport or Moose Island is 4.5 miles long and 1.5 miles wide. so everything is in walking distance. Old home days boasts the best 4th of July celebration in Maine. Things are slower in the off season but a few good beers (including long trail draft), fresh scallops and lobster can be found at The Happy Crab all year round. The locals make happy hour special. Check out places like Cobscook state park, reversing falls, moosehorn wildlife refuge, quoddy state park, old sow. You can pick up ahouse real cheap also, bought mine for $32K

Eastport is getting pretty far up there on the coast. How are the winters? Does the ocean moderate the weather some?

It also looks like a drive up Rt1 would be a nice way top check things out?

Last edited:
The winters are not as bad as some would think. The coastal waters do moderate the temperatures. Winters are a bit warmer and have less snow than what I get here in the middle of NH. I alos think the growing season (I'm a gardener also) is longer there than here in NH. On the other end, few people use air conditioners during summer there. The cool breeze off the water keeps things comfortable. The ocen water is too cold for swimming so everyone hits the lakes and ponds for a dip.

The drive up rt1 is nice, but a lot of the same thing along the way. Howvere, there are many interesting places just off the beaten path if you know where to look.

Last edited:
Another reference that might be of interest is "Maine Grographic Weather Records, Patterns and Phenomena" published by DeLorme. My copy was published in 1983 but I bought it in the late '90s. I don't know if it is still published or available.

It describes reasons behind Maine's weather and how a short distance from the ocean or altitude and the windward versus the leeward side of the mountain ranges can effect your microclimate. For example, it describes the ocean as the single largest influence in weather over a 20-30 mile strip of land closest to it and how this interacts with other weather influences.

I'd recommend this reading not just in selecting a home base but for good background to utilize your own wits about the weather on journeys to the North Woods or to the islands.

Mane for Retirement

I am in a similar situation; on the verge of retiring to Maine. Suggest looking in the 'greater' Farmington area for the mountains. It has a modern hospital and is a college town. I like the Belfast area for the coast.