Return to the Bigelows

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPMMBM

Reaction score
In January of 2010 I was part of a Maine AMC group that set out to camp at the Avery col. Long story short, a small group of us broke trail to just before the col, camped for the night, and came down the next morning without hitting either summit (I was one of those that casted a "no" vote for summitting the next morning). Trail breaking the day before was tough.

On Sunday of this past weekend under far more favorable conditions, I returned. I drove in nearly all the way to the Firewardens trailhead. Had a nice walk through the woods and then began the climb to the col. Based on the elevation of where we camped in 2010, we were only short of the col camping area by 100-200 feet. I hit Avery Peak and then back over to West Peak and from there decided to head for South Horn and catch the Horns Pond trail back to Firewarden trail. This is a very nice hike. Lots of people out enjoying the Bigelows.

My whole loop was about 12.5 miles and took me about as long as it took our winter group took just to make it short of the col.

Nice! I was up there late December early January and our group made it to the tent site just before the steep part after a big storm. We went back the next day and it took five of us four hours just to get to the col! There was so much snow last winter!! I'm hoping to go back at the end of the month. I will be sad not seeing the firetower anymore though....so sad they burned it down.

-MEB

Nice job Keith. Glad you were able to get those 2 ME 4k's off your back. Now, you only have to go back when you do your W115 list!: eek: :eek:, okay, maybe the W67..... I agree with MEB, not have the bldg on Avery.......it just doesn't look the same.

Petch