Rhode Island Hiking ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tramper Al

Hi,

I realize this is a New York site, but I am planning my next hike for southern Rhode Island.

I am approximately 10 miles short of the sea of my section hike from Pack Monodnock Mt to the Atlantic Ocean (the long way). Anyway, I hope to complete Rhode Island's North South Trail very soon.

Naturally, I want to reward myself with a cool NST patch to go with the ones from the Wapack and Mid State Trails, but I'm not sure it exists. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Fast processing of my application and quick delivery of the patch are of no importance to me. That reminds me, I've got to get working on writing up my W48 application from last year!

Thanks!

Hey Tramper Al,
I live in southern RI right along the NST. Give me a shout when you're in the area.I've hiked from Blue Shutters Beach to my house (about 10 miles) and a few other odd sections, but never the whole thing.Every spring a group usually does the trail from end to end on concurrent Saturdays.
I'm not sure if I've ever seen a NST patch. I'm involved in local trail maintenance and know a few people who helped build the North South system. I'll ask around.

Tramper Al, our puckish and merry scamp, strikes again!

Actually, I was quite interested in the North-South Trail because Prima Donna Grumpy (my darling daughter) lives in the New London, CT, area and is (supposed to be) interested in hiking possibilities thereabouts. So I will pass this info along to her. And now the old man will have something else to do on a visit to PDG’s place. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating it this week!

G.

So,
I'm out there today on the NST, hiking first a 4 mile gap (biked to set up), then my final 6 mile section (hiked both directions) to the sea. I say hello to a trio on the trail in Burlingame State Park, and they later pull over and say hi again as I am walking back from the beach to my car, like 10 minutes after I complete the whole trail, the length of Rhode Island. They ask if I am hiking the North-South Trail, and then they offer to send me a completion PATCH! Not only that, but they are trail maintainers and I get to thank them in person. I round out the day with a visit to the Washington County HP. A sweet day in the Ocean State.

Last edited:
Where can I get more information on this trail? I looked on the website provided but it didnt really answer my questions. I would like to know how well marked it is and how easy it is to follow? I would like to hike this in spring fall as my family traditionally takes vacations in Rhode Island and stays at Burlingame. Is there a book or another website?
Thanks
Joel B Miller

There is a guide book, it's called "The North South Trail" by Cliff Vanover. I believe I ordered it from Amazon.

I don't know if there is an official website, but there is an unofficial one with a map located at this website

Hope that helps!

- Ivy

North South Trail

Hi tycho,

The single best source of info on the NST is the Vanover book, but it can sometimes be a little hard to find. Amazon does seem to have 2 in stock tonight, though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-4727695-4883236?v=glance&s=books

The online maps we've given links to are OK, but not good enough to save you from some occasional wrong turns.

The Vanover book gives you maps in 2 scales, a running description with mileage (to the 0.01 mile!), good info on where you can park (and where you cannot). It's a must have.

The trail is about 70 miles, running from the Mass border down to the sea just south of Burlingame SP. You should know that the trail itself is roughly 1/3 woods trail, 1/3 woods road (no vehicles) and 1/3 public road (mainly quiet country roads). The trial is quite well marked with nice NST logo badges and with blue painted blazes. Still, with so many paths in the woods and turns on the country roads, it really helps to have the guide book and its maps. You are probably going to want to get a Delorme Atlas (CT/RI) to find your way around by car too, but a good state map (does RI have a free one?) might suffice.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have - just send me a PM or something.

Hope that helps . . .

Last edited:
thru hike??

Could you thru-hike the NST?? Is there any legal camping along the way spaced a days' walk apart?? I'd love to thru-hike that in the spring sometime...

captain said:
Could you thru-hike the NST?? Is there any legal camping along the way spaced a days' walk apart??
Edit: Hey, I'm going to edit this, as I re-read the section on camping in the Vanover book, and I think it's not quite as tough I am previously thought. So, I'd answer your question with a qualified 'yes'. When you get the book, you'll see what I mean.

Camping along the NST . . . it would take some real planning. There are a few campsites (but not many) as part of the trail route. However, there are a handful of campgrounds, and some other campsites, that are close enough to be useful. It would help if you were flexible about how much walking you did on a give day (e.g 20 miles one day, 6 the next), as I think in any case you may not find your legal camping options either numerous or optimally spaced. While the trail goes through a lot of state land (mainly WMAs but some SPs), some of them do not feature camping. Some may explicitly allow LNT camping, but I'm not sure.

The Vanover guide book is the place to start on this, as he includes the legal camping options along the way. He explains that the longest gap without (disclosed) legal camping is 29 miles BUT . . . he says there is a fine primitive campsite in this section as well (Carolina WMA), he's just been asked not to publish it.

Last edited: