Rock Branch Trailhead

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWills81

Reaction score
I noticed the trail has been re-opened but isn't the Rock Branch Road/Jericho Road still closed? Can you park at the road closure and hike in till you reach the trailhead? What is the distance from the closure to the trailhead?

I noticed the trail has been re-opened but isn't the Rock Branch Road/Jericho Road still closed? Can you park at the road closure and hike in till you reach the trailhead? What is the distance from the closure to the trailhead?

I don't recall the actual trail being closed but it is possible. That trail has not fared well with storms over the past 10 years. It has been a few weeks since I checked on the road but it was closed at a gate which is about 1.8 miles from the trail head parking area. It was my understanding the road was not going to be reopened this year and the bridge leaving the trail head parking lot was damaged and/or gone so a ford of the brook there would be necessary (which could be an issue depending on conditions - it is pretty wide in the first few miles of the trail and below). You may find my thread from a July post useful for info/further research: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...rail-From-Jericho-Road&highlight=jericho+road

We were there in July. The walk from the lower gate to the upper gate is just shy of 2 miles. The bridge is standing but the road on both sides is washed out so you can't get on it. You need to Ford the stream. Trail to the shelter/platforms is fine but more overgrown than in the past.

We were there in July. The walk from the lower gate to the upper gate is just shy of 2 miles. The bridge is standing but the road on both sides is washed out so you can't get on it. You need to Ford the stream. Trail to the shelter/platforms is fine but more overgrown than in the past.

Thanks for the update, similar going to Mud Pond via Tunnel Brook Trail coming in from the north.
Could be a fun over night with a dinner and breakfast at Stairs Mtn via the Col. Ever been up that way. Only heard it’s a boring wet trail that goes up with no views.

We went up Stairs maybe 20 years ago. Small view then. Maybe grown in now?

We like woods walks as much as krumholtz and alpine. Just need to look for different things.

Rocky Branch and Ethan Pond are two of our favorite October overnighted destinations. At Rocky Branch, we lounge in the sun by the river and read. The dog comes with us. Low stress trip.

We went up Stairs maybe 20 years ago. Small view then. Maybe grown in now?

We like woods walks as much as krumholtz and alpine. Just need to look for different things.

Rocky Branch and Ethan Pond are two of our favorite October overnighted destinations. At Rocky Branch, we lounge in the sun by the river and read. The dog comes with us. Low stress trip.

I found Stairs Col Trail relatively boring but in combination with Rocky Branch is a fairly quick way to get to Stairs Mtn (although the current road walk takes that edge away). Lot of straightish cruises through the woods similar to the lower sections of Osseo Trail on Flume. I found the upper parts more interesting. Lot of low angle but slick ledge due to a black moss of some sort that coats the rocks, some fairly unusual forest and a neat but very small meadow area at the height of land. I think I last went this way 2 years ago. I don't recall it being overgrown at all but that may have changed.

Not sure if Dave.M was referencing views on Stairs Col Trail or Stairs Mtn but the ledge on top of Stairs Mtn has spectacular views and is not grown in at all. I don't recall many views on Stairs Col Trail. I suspect the meadow area at height of land had good views at some point but that area has grown in a lot and has very restricted glimpses through the trees. Probably what Dave.M was referring to.