Rocky Branch Rd off 16 to Miles Brook?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el-bagr

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the old road that leaves the Rocky Branch trailhead off Rte 16 in Pinkham Notch and heads up to Miles Brook near the confluence of the feeder streams? It's apparent on the ground from the trailhead, and is very visible on satellite photos. From the Rocky Branch Trail in the section above 2400' where it traverses SW away from the unnamed brook to the pass over Engine Hill, it is clear that Miles Brook drains away to the SE. Skiing through here last April, we saw pink flagging heading down to the SE of the trail into the swampy Miles Brook drainage. Anyone ever connect the two?

Note that the topos also show a square (structure?) at 44.20 N 71.27 W; in that area on the sat photos, you can see indistinct "scratches" through the trees. Any idea what this is/was?

el-bagr said:
Anyone know anything about the old road that leaves the Rocky Branch trailhead off Rte 16 in Pinkham Notch and heads up to Miles Brook near the confluence of the feeder streams?
I consider it a new road since it was built within my memory :)

It was used for logging access and at one time the Rocky Branch Trail left the parking lot at that road but apparently too many people followed the road by mistake so the trail now leaves the far end of the parking lot.

And I've never been up it.

About two weeks ago, I walked up the dirt road that leaves the south end of the parking lot. I assume this is the one, I saw no others. There is a current logging operation at the end of it. It is also an established cross-country ski trail (don't recall the name). Along the way, another trail diverges and goes to Jackson, and another goes to Winnewetta Falls (spelling?) and Pinkham Notch.

There's tons of bear and moose sign up there. :)

I remember reading the official paperwork from the WMNF on this logging project earlier this year here. It had maps and detailed information on the work to be done. It's no longer up on the site, but it looks like they're working on putting up a page for archives. Sometimes there's interesting reading there.