Rocky Peak Ridge - Sunday 9/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KZKlimber

Reaction score
Anyone interested in hiking Rocky Peak Ridge from New Russia on Sunday???

Did it around this time last year - but there were no views besides the cloud we were inside of. Otherwise a great hike I've wanted to do again.

If there is enough interest we could arrange vehicles at both trailheads and do a through hike over Giant.

Start around 8:30 AM?

So KZ... How was the hike?

Well - clearly nobody was interested since I only saw one other person ascending from New Russia on Sunday.

I like this hike more each time I do it, especially since I had a view for the first time today. Shortly after reaching the summit the clouds around Giant and Dix lifted.

It was cold and windy with rime ice on the trees on the north face. Glad I brought a warm hat, gloves, and an insulated jacket.

Met some people on the summit who had come over from Giant and were going back the same way. I still want to do a Giant/Rocky Peak through hike someday.

;)

There's another thread I started a couple of weeks ago mentioning that a couple of us are doing the Giant-Rocky-New Russia hike soon and invited others to join us. Probably early to mid-October so we get good looks off the ridges after leaf fall.

PB

Greathike

KZ....

The through hike on a nice fall day is perhaps one of, if not the best hikes in the North East IMHO. I have done it 4 times now from New Russia and once the other way starting off up the Eagle slide (not for the faint of heart)
It's worth waiting for a good sunny, clear day to do it too.

Phil