Round-lobed Hepatica

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I got a new Sigma 150 Macro lens this spring, and finally am getting the chance to shoot with it. Wind was wicked today at Adams Point in Durham, nh today, but I set up a wind screen, a diffuser and a tripod, and using my four arms I came away with this shot.

I like shots that just shoot the flowers, and usually don't include much environment ... sometimes it works for people, sometimes it doesnt. How do you like this...

Happy wildflower season!

Canon 20D w/Sigma 150 macro
1/200 @ F/4
ISO 200
Tripod/diffuser/windscreen
No filters

hepaticaesm-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I like the shot. Very pleasing to look at.

Good composition to isolate the flower against its very interesting colored background. I like the blossom off center (up and to the left) with that subtle line of the stem leading to the lower right corner.

(Maybe you could crop a slight bit more off the left of the frame -- but not much. I never can resist playing with that aspect of things. :eek: )

G.

Jim, I think you have a very effective photo. Grumpy got here first with a few of my comments, so I will echo them.

Early spring backgrounds can be a real challenge. Truth told - they can be down right distracting. Your macro's narrow depth of field handled it well. The rear portions of the flower also complement the earth tones of the background. I like that we can see the stem just well enough to tie the flower to the background. The subject is off center enough to keep the composition interesting. Good job handling the wind and contrast.

Last edited:
4000'er said:
Nice shot
How close will the lens let you get?

The lens lets you do 1 to 1 reproduction...which means that the size of the object in real life will be the size on the film. The lens has a working distance of 15 inches...which means that it gets this reproduction size at 15 inches.

Most shots though, you'll never need this much macro, and I shot this from about 2 feet away...

Beautiful! I've been thinking of asking what lens you use for flowers, but I read that you've just started with a Sigma 150 Macro. What were you using before? I already carry a telephoto (for wildlife) and a 24-80mm for scenics, which I use for macro-type shots, and I'm considering a macro-specific lens but don't relish the thought of buying or carrying a third lens.

Before you got the new lens, your images were awesome. What were you using?

forestgnome said:
Beautiful! I've been thinking of asking what lens you use for flowers, but I read that you've just started with a Sigma 150 Macro. What were you using before? I already carry a telephoto (for wildlife) and a 24-80mm for scenics, which I use for macro-type shots, and I'm considering a macro-specific lens but don't relish the thought of buying or carrying a third lens.

Before you got the new lens, your images were awesome. What were you using?

Thanks Forestgnome,
I wouldn't get the 150 for the type of stuff I know you do...it's another big heavy lens...but I do like the working distance.

Last year I was using canon's 50mm 2.5 Macro with a 12mm extention tube. Light, compact, and allowed shots down to 1:1.5. Rather affordable as well, by comparison to most macro lenses, but the working distance is real small...a few inches. That's why I traded up...

Jim, nice stuff with the new lens. I'd like to try it out some time. I love my Canon 100mm macro, but I'd like to try out the 150 to see what the working distance is like. I'm surprised that you can only get to 15". I would think that for small subjects that it would be nice to get closer. What are your thoughts?

- darren

Darren,

If we're ever in the same place, you can certainly try this glass out. I have really been enjoying it. It is 1:1 at 15 inches, but that's the back element, the front is alot closer. I think it's generous, and pretty impressive how close it looks from that far away.

The addition of an extension tube obviously allows you to get closer, and I've been impressed with what just 12 more mm's will do!

Diffuser

Jim,

Great shot. I noticed that you used a diffuser, I've been doing some research lately on photographing flowers and it seems that a diffuser is a must have item. I must admit that I had never heard of one..

So, I went to B&H and did a search on diffuser and got a return of 24 pages, just slightly overwhelming.. :eek: .

I'm using a Digital Rebel xt with the Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro and was wondering what my options would be for a diffuser. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Glenn

Diffuser = translucent medium

tissue paper

white bedsheet or handkerchief

translucent Tupperware container or lid

HDPE (Nalgene) water bottle

frosted glass sheet

etc.

G.

That's a neat setup, Jim.

It reminds us that the another means of modifying light is to use a reflector. Very useful information and ideas to carry around in our noodles (and use).

G.