Rumor?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
Anyone hear that the Isolation trail east or Rocky Branch trail will no longer be maintained???

I heard this today but can't vouch for or reveal the source.

Keith

Last edited:
Keith -

Any rational given for not maintaining them, especially Rocky Branch which gets lots of traffic?

Sounds like someone was pulling your leg....or maybe just yanking your chain.

On the other hand, I don't think the Isolation Trail west of Davis Path has seen any significant maintenance in awhile. Maybe it's been closed. :confused:

Kevin Rooney said:
Keith -

Any rational given for not maintaining them, especially Rocky Branch which gets lots of traffic?

Nothing at all. Just someone who I would think would be in the know asking about difficulty of travel on those trails because he was wondering if they were closed yet?

Can't really say more than this because it was overheard by me. Not told to me.

Keith

BIGEarl recently mentioned that sections of the Rocky Branch trail were overgrown.

I did Isolation 9 days ago, out and back on Rocky Branch, Isolation, and Davis Path, and sections of the Isolation trail were a bit tight with some blowdowns, but it is a wilderness area. Down lower, being late summer, the ferns and other soft undergrowth is definitely noticeable, but the trails are in no way impassable or even difficult to follow.

From these two facts, I'm guessing only the section from the Isolation Trail out to Jericho Road is tricky, probably from lack of use.

HTH,
Tim

bikehikeskifish said:
From these two facts, I'm guessing only the section from the Isolation Trail out to Jericho Road is tricky, probably from lack of use.

Tim

Yes, very few people use this section. As for the trailhead itself - it must have been one of the more expensive ones to build, it's paved, etc. It also serves cross-country ski trails, although that traffic is much smaller than the hiker traffic. The only downside to the trailhead is it's relative isolation (no pun intended) - being higher than NH16 and shielded by trees, it seems to be a higher target for vandalizing vehicles.

Anyway, I hope access to Isolation via Rocky Branch remains open, especially for winter travel. Glen Boulder is a fun approach, but most use Rocky Branch. I can only imagine a winter trip via Glen Boulder and upon reaching treeline on the Davis Path finding the weather was shutting down ... you'd be in a world of hurt at 3PM in the afternoon.

Edit - thanks for that link Bobby. As I look over some of the maps, am having a hard time understanding the rational for some of the Zone D designations. For example - on Whiteface - why would the area around the intersection of the major approaches on the summit be Zone D? Obviously the higher you get the more fragile the land, but to reduce the level trail maintenence? Perhaps I'm not understanding the 4 levels (zones), but maintaining a trail partway, and then leaving a gap doesn't make sense.

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:

HTH,
Tim

Maybe the section between shelter#1 and #2, but the portion from Jericho Rd to Shelter#1/Stairs Col trail is practically a highway. I went a mile or two beyond Stairs Col a couple of years ago, and it was in decent shape. I can't vouch for the final two miles to the Isolation trail, though.

Wildeness Zone D

Kevin Rooney said:
For example - on Whiteface - why would the area around the intersection of the major approaches on the summit be Zone D? Obviously the higher you get the more fragile the land, but to reduce the level trail maintenence? Perhaps I'm not understanding the 4 levels (zones), but maintaining a trail partway, and then leaving a gap doesn't make sense. [/I]

Zone D is the area where the highest traffic occurs and there is likely evidence of human impact(possibly bridges, impacted or designated campsites, etc). The ledges on Whiteface is just such an area. Zone A is the area where there are no supported trails or facilities.

Jack Waldron said:
Zone D is the area where the highest traffic occurs and there is likely evidence of human impact(possibly bridges, impacted or designated campsites, etc). The ledges on Whiteface is just such an area. Zone A is the area where there are no supported trails or facilities.

Thanks, Jack. I had it reversed.