Rump (3654') & Boil (3601') ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckyball1

Reaction score
an unlikely pair and let's file this one under never do again.....

Like a lot of you, I've been chomping at the bit given the weather we've had the past few weeks. I thought there was going to be enough of a window between fronts to get in a hike today. Last night's heavy rain cleared the area I was headed for about 7PM -so plan on slightly wet woods, little rain today-way wrong

I left about 230 for the Connecticut Lakes, NH (best approach to Rump) which is a horribly long drive from Orrington. Considering the rain and fog which shadowed me the entire drive, I should have turned around and tried another day-it was pouring in both Grafton and Dixville Notches--but I've become obsessed with this list. The Maine rivers are flowing crazy high

After passing through Colebrook and Pittsburg, I approached Rump from East Inlet Rd just north of Second Connecticut Lake. The six miles of this road were in good shape, but I encountered 2 new washouts coming out. I turned up an iffy old road toward Rump and was able to get to my projected starting point some 2+ miles from East Inlet Road. There are 52 (yes, counted on the way out) dips/washouts on this stretch (the side road off East Inlet Rd headed to Rump) so the going is very slow and probably impossible for a low clearance car.

The 'whack wouldn't be a bad one if it were dry, but heavy (and continuing) rains made for a slippery mess. As suggested, the north slope seems less dense than the ridge. A few small cliffs are easy to work around. Top totally socked in-the jar was "frozen" shut so I carefully whacked it with a rock to open. Newish register placed by One Step and Nate/Albee/Marc recent 3K visitors-i seemed to be the first signee in 2009. Back at the car, I poured water out of my boots and squeezed water and mud from everything else-and still the rain fell.

I saved lots of time by driving through Canada rather the Oquossoc to reach the Eustis area (for Boil)--all well/pleasant at both borders.

The sun came out as I passed Natonis Pond and I hoped for a decent hike on Boil. My concern about the condition of Alder Stream Rd was unnecessary--it's in much better shape than when I was turned back by impassible ruts in May--it would be no problem even with low/2WD car-and the copious amounts of rain caused only a few minor issues. I was able to drive in about 11 miles, mostly on the snowmobile route, but deviating from it close to Boil (using sat pics). I parked a straight line mile from the summit and headed up (in a different set of gear) from the east as had been suggested.

The lower 2/3 of the hike would be easy (fairly open, not too many blowdowns) save for the rains which had turned the entire mountain into a cascade of water--every depression seemed to be a stream. Things got ugly about 0.3 miles from the summit-extremely steep, many blowdowns which boxed you in, some cliffs and lots of wet slippery moss/rocks. There were a few stretches which seemed as difficult as any whacks; not super thick, but so steep, slippery, blowdown filled. My arms ache from all the "hoisting" maneuvers. I actually considered abandoning a few times (totally out of character). There were some great views from the steep section as the sun finally poured down. Unfortunately that was soon replaced by the rain pouring down again.

I almost stumbled on what seems an "easy" jar-again a newish register-last signees appeared to be Albee and DR last fall. Then came the wind, hail and sleet--yuck. It gets pretty dark in the woods under those conditions. The descent was ugly-slip, butt slide, gravity, robot like movement, walking in the "streams". At the car, I again poured water out of boot pair number 2 and wrung out my second set of everything.

The original plan was Rump, sleep at the Maine Road House and head over to do Attean on Sunday. I was whipped after Rump/Boil and felt hiking 16+ miles in wet leather boots was a bad idea, so home i went--super long day--note to self, no more rainy day bushwacks (and the forecast has changed to rain tomorrow in Jackman :) )

jim

Last edited: