Saddleback Too Icy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalksWithBlackflies

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of a partial Great Range hike on Saturday, but was thinking that the cliffs on Saddleback will be the bottleneck... too much snow/ice, but yet not enough. Anyone been up there lately? Has anyone climbed Saddleback in similar conditions?

rico said:
I'm toying with the idea of a partial Great Range hike on Saturday, but was thinking that the cliffs on Saddleback will be the bottleneck... too much snow/ice, but yet not enough. Anyone been up there lately? Has anyone climbed Saddleback in similar conditions?

Haven't been there this winter, but did it last winter.

We brought snowshoes, rope, axe, and crampons. Used the rope, axe, and snowshoes. Probably could have used the crampons too, but I have good grip on my MSRs. I think we did go to bare boots for parts of the climbing stage.

We did not go directly up the entire steep part, we went around to the right as we were going up, and found the going somewhat better. Near the very top though, there was one place where we needed all the aforementioned gear.

Good luck!