Sandwich Dome/Jennings Pk/Noon Pk -Drakes Brk Tr(in) & Sandwich Mtn Tr(out) on 4/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomoko

Reaction score
Sandwich Dome/Jennings Pk/Noon Pk -Drakes Brk Tr(in) & Sandwich Mtn Tr(out) on 4/23

Date of Hike: 04/23/2011

Trail Conditions:
Drake Brook Trail (hike in): In the morning, 9AM on 4/23, trailhead was covered by snow totally. I wanted to hike by Algonquin Trail which is challenging trail for hike (rock scrambling required) but the road of the trailhead is closed in Winter, so I gave up to use it. We started our hike by carrying Microsplikes and Snowshoes. Less than 1 miles area from the trailhead, we had to cross brook. The water current looked very fast and I had to carefully across brooks. This area's trail wasn't really clear due to snow and there was no footprints at all. After we started to make a lot of postholing, we wore snowshoes to speed up our hike. Once we reached to Sandwich Dome to see the nice view of Sandwich Range Wilderness (Whiteface, Passaconaway, 3 Tripyramids, Tecumseh, 2 Osceolas etc) and ate lunch, we hiked out.

Sandwich Mtn Trail (hike out):
This trail goes through Jennigs Pk and Noon Pk. So there are up and down. There were some sections of the trail very steep and icy. We switched traction from Snowshoes and Microspikes. Sometimes, we even had to do short period of time bushwhacking to avoid hiking down on very ICY Trail. Then, switched gear back on SS from MS to avoid postholing after passing Icy trail section. Trails are very clear and no needed to search trail blaze etc.

Special Equipment Required: I still recommend hikers to bring Microspikes and Snowshoes at this point of the time.... When trails are not heavily used at 3K footers hike, we still need Snowshoes. but when we returned to the trailhead parking lot, all snows were gone because of sun shine all day long!

Comments: After I completed New England Hundred Highest list, I now enjoy New Hampshire 52 View list peakbagging in addition to ADK46 list peakbagging since April 2011. Mountains are not popular compared to WHITES 48 4K footers, which means very less hikers. I and my boyfriend didn't meet any hikers all day long and I enjoyed quiet environment by 2 of us with the magnificent views with gorgeous weather. This is the perfect reward during hike. This is the hike I now want to do...

Happy Trails,
Tomoko :)