Santanoni-Bradley Pond - Official Access (Anouncement)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
{special thanks to Peakbagr for all he did getting this done ;) }

Official Open Space Conservancy Statement:

-------------------------

As you all know by now, on Tuesday, June 5, the Open Space Conservancy, OSI’s land acquisition affiliate, acquired more than 2,000 acres from Finch Pruyn, including 1,500 acres of property on the east side of Santanoni, including Bradley Pond. Many of you have already expressed interest in hiking and climbing access to the area. We are excited that people are interested, and more than happy to be able to open the area up for recreational use.

ONE IMPORTANT DISCLAMER: It is important to note the boundaries are specific and hikers and climbers need to stay on OSI land. To that end, we’re posting a map that depicts the property boundary between OSI and Finch, Pruyn lands. Taking a look at the map will give you a better sense of the property lines, and help you avoid crossing into the Finch lands, other than on the existing public trail that provides access to OSI’s newly acquired parcel.

So PLEASE, take a study the map before you go, respect the property boundary, and HAVE A GREAT HIKE OR CLIMB!

Thanks,
Joe Martens, President and
Katie Stone, Land Projects Manager

Special Note - Area INSIDE the yellow box is the newly available OSI area. This map does not show Private Property (mostly to the south).

Santanoni-OSI.jpg
;)

Last edited:
Tim, the property line around Bradley Pond doesn’t jibe with the property line as shown on my Adirondack Mountain Club map (granted, this is the 1980 revision I have with me here at work). Is there still a triangle of private property on the northeast side of the pond? Or had that already been hacked off and purchased by the state?

I don’t really see much advantage to hikers from this purchase. The trail makes its closest approach to the Santanoni Range at Bradley Pond anyway, unless it’s possible to cut across the southern end of the pond. I’ll bet that would be a pretty wet route. (Ever so much more so, that is.)

As to the first question, I'm pretty certain they own it all back there now.

I would disagree with the second part, I think in time this purchase will become important to hikers. Even if it's just more land that will pass on to the state.

Tim,

Good public service announcement and thank you for doing it. Also thanks to Neil for taking the coordinates and making/posting a map. Lot of work there and a great job.

Whats important about this acquisition is that it adds another huge piece of land to what the OSI obtained with the Henderson Lake deal a couple of years ago. It also provides legal access to the historic CCC trail up Santanoni Peak. Just by itself, this new (old) route will provide a much more direct approach to the Range's namesake and at the same time, take a lot of foot traffic off of a Bradley Pond trail that is desperately in need of repair.
If this already isn't enough of a benefit, there is yet another approach to Santanoni Peak, up the slide track and then a choice of the 2 upper slides to just below the summit ridge.
In my opinion, this was a huge benefit to all outdoors persons and was at the top of my 'wish list' for potential acquisitions.
Bravo to OSI.

Last edited:
Peakbagr said:
... take a lot of foot traffic off of a Bradley Pond trail that is desperately in need of repair. ....
The biggest thing this will do is allow for maintenance on that section of the Bradley Pond trail. In the past, in spite of willing workers and funds, the land owner (FP) would not give permission for work to be done.

This is a bit off topic, but am wondering if some of you who are close to the subject can shed some light on why Finch Pruyn blocks access to its lands? It's been my experience that most logging companies don't have a problem with hikers (and others) crossing their lands. Even in Maine, where at times it seems the logging industry practically owns of the mountains (am obviously exaggerating a bit) so long as you don't interfere with logging operations, like leaving a vehicle in the way, or getting in the way of logging trucks on the road, then allowing access to hikers is not an issue. It's good PR, and that's usually good for business.

Is Finch Pruyn concerned about possible liability? Historically there are differences in attitudes about public access to lands that pre-date the Revolution between New York and New England - Torys vs. non-Tory - does it go back that far? Or something entirely different?

Not my intent to create any name-calling here - just interested in what Finch Pruyn's official position is re: hiker access.

Thanks.

Kevin,

BS hit it right on the head. For generations it seems, Finch Pruyn has leased land to Sportsmans's Clubs, lots of the approximately 166,000 acres. The clubs have camps, club houses, and most of the access is on lumber roads. There are gates and members have the keys.

The Sportman's Clubs charge dues to their members and in return the members can hunt, fish, hike, camp, play horseshoes or just relax anywhere on the property covered by the lease.
We have encouraged hikers to consider joining the Clubs who hold leases to land the hikers would enjoy. Alternatively, volunteer on work party days and get to know the members and perhaps get an invitation.

Who knows where the purchase of Finch Pruyn may lead. DEC and OSI may be presented with other opportunities, large and small. We can only hope.
Good question, Kevin.... ;)

Ah yes, the sportsman's clubs. As soon as I read that I remembered how many camps there along the route to Allen - had a senior moment. Thanks for the posts.

Just as sort of an aside,

If you approach FP on permission for lands they hold that are considered logging lands (for example, the Santanoni tract we're talking about), they are very reasonable and quite friendly. In fact, there is a program where you could buy permission to recreate (hike) on those lands for an annual fee. However, when it comes to "exclusive use" leased land (like those leased to hunting clubs), it was always up to the individual club (as it should be) to determine who gets permission to hike their.

I guess that makes sense, since they pay more for the privilege. Still as much crap as FP gets, they have been pretty good stewards of the lands. I say that even though I've not been able to hike some of the places I've wanted as a result of their policies.

Also, I gotta say, some of the clubs and members of those clubs have been very friendly and good to me, even if they haven't offered blanket permission. They just don't want renegades traipsing all over their property and I can certainly can respect that.

Last edited:
FP has made a considerable amount of information about its leasing and access policies available on the internet. Check here and here.

G.