santanoni, couchsachraga, panther 7/21/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 7/21/12

trails: bradley pond trail, herd paths

conditions: parking was remarkably full just before 7am this morning. bradley pond trail was in good shape along the road and for the most part along the trail up to the "santanoni express" herd path. some mud, but relatively minimal. the bridge at the first water crossing after leaving the road is probably best avoided as it is leaning quite a bit. crossing was an easy rock hop today. the "express path" was generally easy to follow and in decent shape with one potentially confusing area of blowdown shortly before the final climb to the ridge line. the infamous rope at the steep ledge worked quite well to help get up the first part of the pitch. crossing the brook at its base was a non issue. good conditions along the ridge and on the path to couchsachraga. the mud pit along the way was still interesting, but nothing like it would be in a wetter season. path up to panther nice as well. the herd path from herald square down to bradley pond was easy to follow and probably a better choice of descent than the express path (which is better to ascend, in my opinion). once back on the bradley pond trail there are some nice re routes in the vicinity of the pond along with some pretty wet and muddy sections. junctions were generally well marked though there was nothing at the express junction on the ridge. the bottom of the path to herald square from bradley pond begins on a large downed tree which leads to a beaver dam that's on your left where the new re route drops down to the edge of the beaver pond.

equipment: nothing in particular.

comments: really nice hike. i decided to take advantage of the relatively dry conditions and get in a hike to the santanonis. the herd paths were in good shape and i was pleasantly surprised by all of the great views high on santanoni. met lots of nice people along the way enjoying the beautiful day. great to spend a couple of days in the high peaks.

bryan

[email protected]