Santanoni Peak - Sunday March 14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
While the snow's still good - Sunday, I'm going to hike up Panther Brook one more time to Times Square, and summit Santanoni... and maybe Panther Peak again, just because it's only 25 minutes round-trip. It'll be an all-day hike. Any takers? -ALG

I've never been winter hiking and would like to come along. Can you give me a list of stuff I would need for a winter hike? I've hiked marcy/algonquin etc upto late fall... but not after.

I'd really like to come along but I have a tender knee right now... so want to do something simple like cascades or something ...

-Vivek

coochee times

vp3:

two weeks ago I followed several parties who'd broke trail before me on my way to couchee. I then went on to panther and finally santanoni. I started at 7 am and got back to my truck at 9 pm. roundtrip from times square to couchee was about 3.5 hours, panther 35 minutes and santanoni about two hours. It took about 4 hours to reach TS going in and 3 hours going out.

These times reflect a good day, a broken trail and familiarity with the mountain. I reached times square on my way out just after sunset and came down panther brook in the dark-not something i'd recommend to someone who might not have experience with dark bushwhack descents.

IMO i wouldn't think of this mountain as one to gain first time winter hiking experience with a tender knee. Cascade sounds much better.

Pvon

Santanonis & first winter hike

I strongly second Pvon's caution against going to the Santanonis on your first winter hike; and a sore knee makes the advice that much more appropriate. Try Cascade; you wont be disappointed!

santanoni times

Thanks PVON for the times. It helped us pace this weekend. We were right with you. In at 6:00am out by 7:30pm, the whole range done, and even breaking trail to Panther and Coochie.

Congratulations to Steve for his winter 46 on Santanoni and breaking trail up to TS and Santanoni! Thanks also to the group of guys from Rochester hiking from Bradley Pond leanto. You guys were great to hike with. Great job on getting all three!