Santanoni Range, March 4/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
My “Welcome Back” hike after a 2 month sabbatical was a planned solo trip into the Santanoni Range. The plan was to hike with full pack up near the cliffs at 3,200, or if I was feeling good to go all the way to Times Square. Then off to Panther and Couchie first, saving Santanoni for later that day.

I departed the parking lot at 7:15 am and was at the 3,200-foot level before 10:00. There I setup my camp. Pitched the tent and dropped off extra gear. I brought a second daypack and after transferring some gear, set off for Times Square. I followed some fresh tracks of another solo climber.

Upon reaching elevation, I turned right for Panther Peak. The winds were still high and the visibility was varying between 100 yards and a quarter mile. I snapped a shot of the summit sign and returned to the tree line before the winds removed the exposed sections of my trail.

I then set off for Times Square and decided to try and locate the herd path for Santanoni. I could not find a distinct start to the trail. I attempted to start one using compass, GPS and previous knowledge. Several times I came upon a packed herd path and attempted to follow it. Most ended up going no where. After 0.3 miles and 1.5 hours, I returned to Times Square.

Now it was 1:30 pm and I took off for Couchie, Just as I started on the trail, I met the other climber. We exchanged our pleasantries and wished each other good travels. The herd path was in good shape with only two errant spurs, which I marked with crossed branches. The trip to the Couchie summit was uneventful. Upon returned to Times Square the weather improved and the visibility opened to 50 miles or more. Great views!

I returned to my camp while it was still light out. Settled in for a comfortable evening with a hot meal and hot drink. I heard three other climbers pass by later in the evening, but I did not get an update where they went. I assumed it was Santanoni and I hope they had better success than I did.

In the morning, I broke down camp and off the mountain I went. On the trail, I met Shin, Harry, Nancy and a few minutes later, Alain with Pin Pin Jr. I reported my progress as they were off for Couchie and Santanoni. The weather this morning was great compared to just one day previous. I was back at the car by 10:00 am and back home before 5:00 pm.

A great weekend to get back into climbing!

On a side note: I always carry a spare meal on every excursion. This had been a Mountain House Lasagna dehydrated meal. I believe it is almost a 46er with all the summits it has seen. It has been on Elbert (CO) in 2003, Hood and Rainier (2005) and I believe it started in the Adirondacks in 2001 traveling with me. This package no longer had writing on it and even the envelope was starting to delaminate. It has become a legend, as it was always the package in the bottom of the pack while newer packages were used up first. Well I can say, it is now history as it joined me for dinner Saturday night. Most important, it was still good!

Good seeing you again, Ed. Your tracks to Couchie were much appreciated. After doing Allen yesterday we only had the energy to follow and not break trail. Thanks again.

Welcome Back

Ed - So good to see you back on the trail yesterday morning. As Nancy said your trail breaking to Couchie was very much appreciated. We could have used your help last weekend, I'm sure we would not have gotten lost and headed into the wild blue wonder if you had been there. I did get Santanoni yesterday. The views were spectacular. Harry waited for me @ TS & we hiked out together in record time for me ( 2 1/2 hours). Great to have you back.

Shin

Cool, congrats to both of you, looking forward to meeting up with you in two weekends.. Looks like Shin is on schedule ;)

Oh, did you have a little funeral for the MH Lasagne. I finished my MH thing I think at the leanto on Lost Clove in the catskills last fall! The funny thing is that it wasn't even necessary for me to eat that, I just felt like having terriyaki that night.

Jay