Santononi, Mosquitos, and Black Flies Oh My

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 1st Seth and I headed up to Lake Harris Campground. Thanks all for recommending this campground. We got up there about 5pm and started a campfire and did some fishing.

We woke up bright and early Saturday morning with the sounds of thunder and a few sprinkles. It did not seem to promising but we got ready for our day. We arrived at the trailhead around 7am and set off on the gravel road. The 1.8 miles to the blue trail went by pretty fast. We stopped so I could adjust my boot and sock and the mosquitos ate us alive. We put on the 100% deet and it kept them at bay.

We then ventured onto the blue trail and when we reached the first muddy section Seth took a pretty hard tumble and landed square on his ass in the mud At first I asked if he was ok because that was one heck of a thud. When he said yeah I laughed so hard. Hard to believe I laughed huh Andy? Actually I did not think the mud was that bad to Bradley Pond. I never once sank in over my boot. Maybe I am just getting use to the mud in the Adirondacks now

We stopped for a brief snack at the turn off from the blue trail to the herd path and the black flies ate us alive. For some reason they liked me more than Seth. The deet only kept some away but not all. I think the entire trip I ate like 20 of the damn things

Once we crossed the marshy section in the open like meadow we lost the herd path for a few minutes. It was like a maze in there. We finally found it and started off. The trip to Times Square was uneventful. Although on our way up Panther Brook we dunked our heads in the water a few times as it was very hot and muggy. There was no wind at all.

We finally arrived at Times Square and met one guy who just finished Santononi but otherwise we had this whole area to ourselves and never ran into anyone else all day. I always enjoy it when you can have a summit all to ourselves. We ventured on the path to Santononi and arrived on the summit in about an hour and took some pictures. It was very hazy all day and you could not see more than about 1-2 miles. The last false summit you come too had the best viewing area. Otherwise what I could tell is the summit is in the trees.

We lounged on the summit for a while and headed back to Times Square. When we arrived Seth and I decided to pass on Panther as we already have Panther and Couch from a previous trip. The hike out was pretty fast and we made it to the car in about half the time as we summited. Although the gravel road seemed to take forever and was a death march. On the road we applied more deet to keep the mosquitos off. Man were they horrible.

My arms and legs are eaten up and scratched from the scrub along the trails. I just could not hike in pants like Seth did. It was just to damn hot! We finally arrived back at camp and took showers and felt 100% better and then headed off into Long Lake for some grub. We ate at the Blarney Stone and all I can say is the food was great. They are very friendly and welcomed out of towners as everyone in there seemed to be locals. Thanks to all who recommended this restaurant although its seemed to be the only one in town

All in all a great weekend despite of the bugs and the hazy weather. Here is a LINK to my pictures. Enjoy!!!!!!!