SAR in northern Vermont

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
As discussed in a few other threads, a few of us are doing some peak bagging of some off-the-beaten-path peaks in northern Vermont next week.

As luck would have it, I will be alone when I climb Cold Hollow Mountain next Tuesday (June 1st). Cold Hollow is a couple of miles north of the village of Belvidere Center (on Route 109) and is about 20 miles east of St. Albans. Since this is a bushwhack in a fairly untravelled area, prudence demands that I take all precautoions to be sure I get out of the woods safely. I'm assuming there would be no cell phone service in this area.

I have given my planned route for this climb to my wife and will attach it in the next note for those who may be interested. In and of itself, it's a relatively short and straightforward bushwack, which several members of this board have done. I expect to start into the woods by 8:00 AM, or certainly by 9:00 AM if I'm delayed.

But the question is: if I don't come out of the woods, and my wife doesn't hear from me by a predetermined time (probably 8:00 PM), whom should she call? Is there a statewide group that handles SARs in northern Vermont (State Police?). Are there more localized groups?

This information is for my wife's piece of mind (as well as for my safety, if things go badly). Any information would be appreciated.

I'll be leaving tomorrow morning for Vermont, so please respond today if you have any information.

Thanks
Pb

Last edited:
Cold Hollow Route

Cold Hollow Mountain bushwhack: Tuesday, June 1

Starting near Stowe, I will drive up Route 100 to Eden, then take Route 118 and 109 to the small village of Belvidere Center. After getting some breakfast and perhaps talking to some locals as to trail conditions, I will climb Cold Hollow Mountain.

Routes (see this map: Cold Hollow Map)

After studying the maps, talking to others, and looking at images from the Terraserver, I conclude one can drive into the woods either on the dirt road just west of the mountain or the road just east of the mountain. The trade off is that the bushwhack from the west to the ridge line is shorted and less steep, but the road is probably narrower and may be impossible, especially early in the season. Several bushwhackers from this site have gone in from the east. My plan is to try the west side approach first, but give up and go in on the east side if the driving is to tough on that road.

Option #1 west side: Drive in to the woods using the dirt road, which goes north from the village and goes along the ?North Fork? stream (see map). Drive in about 1.5 miles and park (this is where the road dissapears from the map ? about 550 meters). Bushwhack due east up from the stream valley to the top of the ridge line (about .75 miles). On the map there is a UTM grid line along this route and there also seems to be a gully along this bearing so perhaps there is a stream bed going up this route which may make the going easier. There is a little red cross on the map showing the point on the ridge line, a little knob at 696+ meters, where I will head.

Then proceed north up along the ridge line to the high point of the mountain (about 1.25 miles, 1014+ meters = 3327 feet). I?ll probably have some kind of lunch snack at the top. Then return to the car the same way.

Option #2 east side: If the dirt road in option #1 is washed out or otherwise impassable, return to Belvidere Center and drive east on highway 109 about 1.5 miles to a 2nd dirt road. This is shown on the map going north from the highway just east of where the highway crosses Rattling Brook. Drive into this road about 1 mile and park (just east of the word ?Rattling? ? about 430+ meters). Take a bearing on the knob and bushwhack northwest, crossing the brook and climb the ridge to the same point as in option #1 (the little red cross). The proceed north up along the ridge line to the high point as in option #1 and then return the same way to the car.

When I am done with the hike I will drive back to the motel, perhaps getting dinner along the way. I?ll call home the first chance I either get reception on the cell phone, or find a pay phone.

If I were her, I would start with the VT State police.
Generally SAR teams are not dispatched by individuals but rather by the state or local police after the appropriate screening to rule out the obvious. Meaning a police car would probably go look to see if your car was on the road near the mountain ... and of course search responses usually occur after giving you ample time to get out of the woods on your own power unless there is a known emergency.

I do have a number for the VT dept of public safety 1-802-244-8727. Whenever I call them for answers about hunting season they are very helpful. While they may not be the appropriate dept, I'd guess they could point you in the right direction.

SAR's

She'll need to call the State Police. They are the ones who determine if/when and search & resue starts. The SP, will check the trailhead for your vehicle, and then go from there. Of course, this time of year, they're more likely to wait some time before mounting a S&R, unlike during the winter.

Biggest threat now is that you'll be done in by black flies or a moose in heat :D

Papa Bear said:

When I am done with the hike I will drive back to the motel, perhaps getting dinner along the way. I?ll call home the first chance I either get reception on the cell phone, or find a pay phone.
If you're going back to the same motel, maybe let the motel owner be the one to notify authorities - he may know best whom to call and that way your wife can go party while you're away :)

But seriously, this one is not that tough, it's Peaked in Aroostook County where the first trip report said your body might never be found :)

Presently the Tuesday forecast is rain :-(