Savage & Goback

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerDoc

Reaction score
:)
On saturday 1/12, HikerDoc, Mark, Al, Darrell, Thom, and Marianne went to Stratford to do this whack. Looking at the topo map, the route seemed obvious; but a real maze of meandering logging roads added a small degree of difficulty to the route finding. Near the Spruce/Savage col we discovered a large logging yard with an initially well-defined road heading back another way to our starting point. [We followed this route on our descent. Although it was easier travelling than our ascent route, its beginning near the base of the mountain was extremely well camouflaged.] As we ascended the snow depth increased,but the conditions remained excellently firm until the very end of theday. Savage's summit cone was largely open conifers dappled with sunlight - quite lovely! After signing in at the register, we descended steeply to the next col. The Goback summit jar had seen better days, but its sign was still intact (covered by an inch of ice as were the spruce & fir branches - all sparkling in the sunlight). Openings to the east and south provided views of the Nash Stream Peaks, Kilkenny Range, and the Mahoosucs... another incredible day in the mountains! Copy this URL into your browser for nice photos of the trip. Thanks to Mark for this report and Marianne for the photos.

http://dell.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=z516xi1.2vxxi881&x=0&y=-yj7806

Thanks for organizing this trip, HikerDoc. Little did I realize that I would be tempted into bushwhacking peaks without views this winter, all in an attempt to complete a winter list on which I gave up working years ago. Nice photos, Marianne, and fine trip report, Mark.

Dr. D. (aka Thom)