Sawteeth-My 46th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mer

Reaction score
Labor day weekend I'm planning to summit my 46th high peak on Sawteeth (9/5). My long time hiking partner Paul and good friend Ryan will also be summitting their 46th. Ryan will also celebrate his 27th b'day. We hope to hike with most of those we summitted our 1st high peak (Marcy) back on 9/9/00.

What is the best route to take? I say ascend the Scenic trail and descend the Weld trail. Others say take Scenic both ways. What are some of the approximate "times" that people found it took? I know it depends on many factors but just want a ballpark figure.

On another matter...A few people would like to summit with us on Sawteeth then head over to Gothics, Armstrong and Upper Wolf Jaw (they are still working on 46). Your thoughts are welcome. My thoughts...I want to celebrate and hike these another day.

MAV do you have a trail journal for Sawteeth?

In fact I do - RIGHT HERE -.

for what it's worth, I agree with Brad, Do the loop, it's a good one. Sawteeth is steep going the "Scenic Route", but there's lots of rest stops with views ;)

As an aside, I'll be tipping a hat to you on 9/5 from Whiteface as me and an my family finish our 46 that same day. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
I'll be the naysayer -- I took the Weld trail up and Scenic trail down. The scenic trail is a longer route (adds about .5 miles due to switch backs) and is MUCH steeper. I also think you miss some of the views climbing as you'll be hiking UP and have your back to the lake and Colvin. Hiking down, obviously, everything's in front of you. Also be sure to take the .3 miles jaunt over to Marble Lookout (I think that's what it's called, there's a sign for it about halfway up/down the Scenic trail).

If you take the Weld trail, and there's sun, you'll likely reach rainbow falls just as the sun is making its way into the gorge. If you wait until later, the sun will probably be behind the gorge = no rainbows :(.

Either way you win as you'll be doing the loop! Congrats on 46. You picked a big-little mountain to finish on. :)

I love the scenic trail, but agree with the suggestion to go up the Weld and down the lake trail. When you descend the scenic trail, the views are in front of you on the way down, instead of looking over your shoulder while you're huffing and puffing on the way up.
Just my opinion.

PB

You can't lose either way. We did it last week via the scenic trail and down Weld. I preferred it this way because you had many rest points while ascending due to the outstanding lookouts, and the descent and back to the lot was quite quick and easy only an hour or so down and and a little over an hour out- a great way to end the day. Enjoy.

AlpineSummit said:
One thing that was especially cool was walking thru Rifle Notch knowing that I was only moments away from my final summit. Those last steps I will remember FOREVER as I savor the memory.

You know, I always wondered why the hell it was called the rifle notch, til I saw this view from Haystack. It really does look like one. Also looks to be as high as the real summit too.

rifle.jpg

Not for nothing, I'd rather go up steep anyday (rather than down). I too viewed the "lookouts" as VERY convienant rest stops :). Like everything, it a matter of preference.

Looks like I'll have to make a decision whether to ascend/descend scenic trail. I do like to think I would ascend and then descend Weld in time to see the rainbows as Stoopid mention.

How did you come up with the name "Stoopid" Stoopid?
I don't have a trail name. I did clunk my buddy Ryan on the head and named him "Cephas" while on top of Panther.

Anyone have suggestions re camping areas close by?

mer said:
How did you come up with the name "Stoopid" Stoopid?
I don't have a trail name. I did clunk my buddy Ryan on the head and named him "Cephas" while on top of Panther.

I don't remember, think it was random. :p My actual nick in high school was "Pinky" (as in Pinky and the Brain, had a short overweight genius friend... hence...) but as an adult on the internet I got tired of people thinking I was gay. While I have nothing against homosexuals, I aint one -- so I stopped using that nickname.

I'm pretty sure state land starts just over the bridge. At least, when I first did the Weld trail (to climb the lower Great Range last summer) we camped just off the trail at the start of the scenic trail. I don't know if it was lack of planning on my friend's part (I was the newb, so he made all the plans) or that he already done his homework. I mention this because there's no camping allowed on Ausable Club property.

The other option is to climb the Weld trail a ways and there are a few spots to pitch a tent under 3500 feet. The trick is finding one near water and far enough away from the trail...

You're going to love Sawteeth. It's a nice one to finish on. We did it this past winter and loved it. I don't think you can go wrong on which trail(s) you pick. I say just do Sawteeth and tell the others you'll do the rest with them another day. Then you can go to Lake Placid Pub & Brew and have a 46er IPA!

MAVS: we will be finishing on Whiteface 1 week earlier on August 28th (hopefully). Our plan is to spot cars at the research center and get a ride over to Whiteface landing to do a thru hike. Want to join us?

Sawteeth

I agree with Stoopid (I always wanted to say that!) I finished on Sawteeth and we went up Weld and enjoyed the views down Scenic (longer) towards the lake. A great choice to finish on. Good luck. I hope the falls are all roaring their salute to you as you finish.

Bob H. :)

If you don't mind steep descents, and are going to skip Gothics, by all means go up the Weld (visit Rainbow Falls on the way up) and come down the Scenic. However, if you're also going to hike Gothics, you may want to descend the Beaver Meadow trail from the Gothics-Armstrong col.

Hey Pinky! Did you by any chance attend high school in Western New York? I knew a "Pinky".

MAVS thanks for leading me to your great website...helpful info and fantastic pictures. I highly recommend it to anyone on VFTT who hasn't seen it.

On Sept 5, I will also wish the best to you and your family as you summit your 46th on Whiteface and I on Sawteeth! :)

Now I have to plan small gifts for my hiking buddies to give at the summit as well as for Cephas' b'day. He actually is going to have the best b'day present...celebrating it on top of a mt. and becoming a 46er! I can almost feel the openness, peacefulness and also excitement as I envision being on the top.