Scar Ridge from the west

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
Hikerdoc, Nan and I climbed Scar ridge today 1/14 via the ski area and a ridge bushwhack.

We made quick work of the climb up the ski trails/ service roads. Snow cover was actually more than expected as the snow guns were hard at work.

From the North peak we left the ski area and after several minutes picked up a herd path heading to the east. It skirted the north side side of the small bump on the ridge then dropped to the north. That's were we left it and bushwhacked along the obvious ridge-top route to the marked elevation summit. Feeling the draw of the canister, we headed on. At first we got bogged down in some of the dense growth with blowdown. Then we backtraked and skirted the whole thing on the north side, found some open woods, and then pushed thru some matchstick to the second bump where we found the canister.

Back on our tracks.

Snow cover along the ridge was not deep enouigh to require showshoes and it's a good thing cause we left 'em in the car.

7hrs. 2.5 on the ski trails and 4.5 off trail.

True Summit of West Scar

John, There has been some controversy regarding which of the bumps on the ridge is the true summit. The group which climbed this peak on Sat. feels that the register is on the lower of the 2 summits. What do other hikers think?

I was wondering the same. I am thinking of climbing this giant spruce nightmare next weekend.. I kinda think I should try to hit both east and west bumps.. but I'll bet that won't seem so tempting when I am actually up there :)

This question has come up before.

Eric Savage (head of the 4000 footer committee) commented on the two bumps: (here's Eric's post):
As for Scar Ridge, the x3774 bump is considered to be the true summit but is so flat that no one spot can be identified as the highest. As long as you make some reasonable effort to wander around over there, you can count it. The canister was placed on the other peak only to make it easy to find (it would just be cruel, after having done a bushwhack like Scar Ridge, not to make it as easy as possible to find the canister).

If you were a county high pointer, you would climb them both. Most others assume a spot elevation trumps a closed contour. But the topo map in and of itself obviously offers no proof.

Bottom line: do them both like a CoHP.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that again, PB.

If you take one of the shoulder ridges from the Kanc it will 'dump' you directly in front of the cannister. I think that most any taking that route, and finding the cannister, will (rightly or not) assume they've reached the summit as the convention is to place the cannister on the high point, as the views from the cannister are not particularly expansive.

Brings back a memorable quote from my peakbagging days of the past:
"Are we bagging summits or canisters?"
A response coming from one of the many summits where the canister was not placed on the true summit.

While my altimeter does not have the accuracy needed to call this one. It read 4 feet higher on the west (3774) bump indicating they are indeed very similar in height.

Incedently, the west bump is not so large and flat where a canister could not be found. While it is not a pinacle, it was fairly wide open (yesterday) and quite painless to wander around for the 10 minutes needed to locate anything mounted to a tree. The problem would arrise from people who could not get themselves to the desired summit vs. the other one.

John H Swanson said:
A response coming from one of the many summits where the canister was not placed on the true summit.
Love that John.
John H Swanson said:
Incedently, the west bump is not so large and flat where a canister could not be found. While it is not a pinacle, it was fairly wide open (yesterday) and quite painless to wander around for the 10 minutes needed to locate anything mounted to a tree.
When Onestep and I did it in July of 2005 it was also rather open, so it's not just a winter thing.

But I think your quote above should be taken to heart and those of us who get a little to obsessive (is that the right word :)) about canisters and lists and what all, should relax and enjoy the mountains. What the hell, climb 'em all!

HikerDoc said:
John, There has been some controversy regarding which of the bumps on the ridge is the true summit. The group which climbed this peak on Sat. feels that the register is on the lower of the 2 summits. What do other hikers think?
Lacking an altimeter or GPS, I always climbed them both, and neither had a higher feel

My 2nd trip the canister was new, and in the front of the new book it said what Eric did, i.e. the other summit is higher. Presumably this book is long gone. The 4k Committee has almost entirely turned over from those days, and perhaps they would consider moving the register to the correct summit.

John H Swanson said:
In at least one case out West, a speed record was disallowed when the guy only signed the register at the base of the cone and didn't visit the actual summit. Hence some people count it each way :)

There is some advantage to placing a register where it can be seen, and where a large group can sit and snack and take turns signing it. Even with GPS, one can't count on finding canisters in thick spruce. I think the wrong bump 1/4 mile away is too far, however.